Posts by jgifford

I would really suggest you freeze the cake. Each tier in its own box, double wrapped in plastic. Transport in an ice chest ON TOP of dry ice. Set it out - still wrapped - and let it thaw. That way any condensation will be on the wrapping and not on the cake. We took one buttercream and one fondant cake on a 23 hour ride from Texas to California. One was my son's wedding cake. They both made the trip fine and were just as fresh as if I had just made them.
This is upsetting you and making you resentful towards everyone in your family.  As difficult as it will most assuredly be, you have to put your foot down and this means you will either be considered the most horrible witch in the family or you won't be included in any more family events at all.  Believe me, neither one is necessarily a bad thing.    My DH and I have had upsetting situations with both sides of our family and finally decided we didn't have to make...
Just as a point of information, when I use cream cheese, I have found that if it isn't room temperature or even a little warm, it will never hold its shape. It crusts beautifully, but never gets firm. I could beat it until 2 o'clock next summer but it won't help.
I put my cake business on hold since my DH and I bought a small restaurant.  We'd been out of the business for a while and were thrilled to have the opportunity to get back into it.  I've done a few cakes on the side and one old friend who resurfaced has been ordering a half sheet about every other week.    I've found that I have to compete with 3 cooks for oven time and traipsing through the kitchen with hot cakes needing to cool and tools needing to be washed just...
A very close friend who has been ordering a half-sheet every other week told me to expect a call from a lady he works with.  She's finalizing her wedding plans for a couple of months from now and will probably want a 4-tier cake for 150 people.  Seriously?  Just out of curiosity I asked him if she had any idea of the cost of that type of cake.  Oh, yes - she understands it will probably be around $200 - $300.   So this lady wants a practically last-minute wedding cake -...
Don't feel bad - - I've seen all the previews of that movie for years and even know the characters' names, but I've never watched it.  Just not my idea of a good Christmas movie.
  My grandkids though it was beyond cool that eating black fondant turned their poop bright blue.
Definitely a mold and spray, but then there's also ribbon around the edges.  Wonderful job on these!
Sometimes you just want to pour a big dose of Clorox in the gene pool.
 It may not be the ice. My dh and I both used to work for one of the beverage companies.  He was the lucky one who got to keep the equipment in the area working properly - as a result, neither of us will ever touch a fountain drink again.  He used to bring things home to show to me - GAG!! The only places where the valves were cleaned as they should be were the hospital and the Air Force Base, and how likely are we to be getting a fountain drink there? My advice?  Take a...