Posts by chaka1

I buy it at GFS also. They don't carry it in the store. I had to call and order it, took about two weeks, then I went to pick it up. It's a 50 pound block that comes in a plastic bag that's in a heavy cardboard box. I put some in a small tub that I can keep in a kitchen cabinet and I just keep refilling that. 
Here's lots of good info to read. Be sure to scroll all the way down to see the boatload of things that need to be listed on a label, the types of foods that can be sold and look at the comments section at bottom as well. The law is passed in Illinois, but EACH county must approve it in order to sell in that county. I believe you still need to be registered and have sanitation class.   http://cottagefoods.org/laws/usa/illinois/
I agree petit fours are a PITA and by the time you cover the entire little cake, they have so much icing on them and are soso sweet. I don't even like them. I'd much rather do a real cake, cupcakes, or anything else other than petit fours. Just try them once and I think you will agree.   What I have done for sweet tables is to make a sheet pan of either cake or brownies, frost them smooth across the top, cut them into rectangles about 1" x 3", place each one into an...
Thanks for the tip on that book. Sure beats having to drive 7 hours for the class!!!! Again, your cakes are beautiful and your practice has definitely paid off. Thanks again.
jdelectables - Your cake is beautiful. You mentioned that your one cake was after taking two of their classes. I looked online at their classes and it looks like the buttercream technique class is one day for only 1 hour and 15 minutes. Is that what you attended or was there a different one? Plus it says you get recipes. I'm wondering what you got recipes for. I live in Illinois and am wondering if it's worth a trip over there. Thanks so much. Your cakes look beautiful....
Your cake turned out beautiful. Is it tip #403 or a different one? I wish I could take one of their classes but I'm too far. Great job.
Those are looking great. I need to get my tip back out and try again. Mine didn't come out as nice as yours. What kind of buttercream did you use? I think White Flower uses a swiss meringue. Great job...I'm jealous!!!!
That's awesome. Definitely better than how mine turned out. I tried once and gave up. I need to pull that tip out again and practice. Great job. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm sure your daughter loved the cake.
I saw this today on White Flower Cake Shoppe's facebook page. They will be offering a kit of piping tips and from the picture, I can see that the tip on the far right is a #403. The post is from today, February 19, so you may have to scroll down a bit. It looks like a black bag with pink and white dots.   https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-White-Flower-Cake-Shoppe/66339013871   I think they use that style of tip in various sizes depending on the size cake/cupcake.
Some people use two consistencies, one to outline and one to flood. I use one that's in between for both for the most part. Unless there is fine details or writing, then it needs to be a bit thicker. Sorry I'm not more helpful here. When I first make mine I do add about 1/4 tsp of water at a time to get it to the consistency that I want. Good luck.