Posts by Soco119

I have been asked to do a cake in the shape of a woman's body, torso up to neck, standing upright and am wondering if anyone can help me with the boobs? Not sure how to have them so they stick out away from cake but are somehow secured so they won't break away? Anyone have any ideas please?? My thought was to have the upper half of the boob resting on a board, then the lower half molded with rkt but not sure if this is the best way to approach this...
Thanks everyone!
Hi all! I'm hoping you experts can help me out. I've discovered my love for ganache under fondant but am still having trouble making a white chocolate ganache. I have no trouble with the dark chocolate but when it comes to white for some reasone I can't get it to set hard. I've tried different types of white chocolate, but never the chips. Any foolproof tips or tricks? I have tried adding more melted chocolate to see if it hardens any but never with success. Also,...
Anyone?
I have a request for a wedding cake with a feather fascinator attached to the side. Would I treat this as I would a small spray of flowers and use a flower spike? Any ideas on where to purchase feathers? It's not only one but a cluster of them. Thanks!Amy
Hi I made this exact cake a few months back and originally made a backing on the frame for it to stand up just like a frame would. The front part turned out to be too heavy and started to bend back so i then stuck a wooden dowel down through the cakes and leaned the frame up against that, it worked perfectly! To make it more visually appealing from the back I sandwiched the dowel between two pieces of flattened gum paste to make it look like part of the frame. I don't...
Thanks everyone! Great suggestions, I knew there had to be a way around it. I'll try some of these suggestions to see what works best. I was taught to use the PS with the fondant smoother but would much prefer not to if I didn't need to. Such a learning process! Thanks again.
Thanks for the replies! It's not while rolling out that I'm using powdered sugar, it's while smoothing with a fondant smoother. Can I use shortening then also?
...without steaming? I had a disaster of water spots on my finished cake yesterday as a result of steaming to remove the white bits of icing sugar visible on the fondant. I was so upset! I've just started cake decorating this past August, and with every cake I do I learn a lesson, unfortunately for this one it was a lesson I couldn't fix before the customer picked up! They were happy with the cake and I know we're our own worst critic but I really don't want this to...