Posts by tarabara

Thank you so much, Susan! I can't believe you're going to all that trouble. I look forward to trying out the recipe!
Thanks, Susan! I was actually thinking about contacting you directly since you were the only person I could think of who might have experience making the paste. I'll take a look at the book--just to clarify, is it a recipe for vanilla paste or were you talking about the stock syrup referenced by the last poster before me? The vanilla extract is just for me; I don't have a business. I was thinking, though, that if moisture is the problem wih the Grade A beans perhaps...
I can't see a water-soluble paint medium working very well on chocolate. One of the books I have recommends using powder dyes (oil candy coloring would work too) to tint cocoa butter and painting with that. Maybe you'd have more luck that way?
I have true convection; that's what I was trying to describe in my OP. It's why we bought this particular oven--I didn't see much point in getting the knock-off type.
I've just bought 1.25 pounds of vanilla beans to make my own vanilla extract and then learned that I should have bought the Grade B beans for extract rather than the Grade A that I purchased. I'm trying to come up with other uses for the beans (although I'll still try making the extract) and I thought I'd try to make vanilla paste. The problem is that I haven't been able to find any decent-looking recipes. The ones I've found say just to add xylitol or glycerin to...
Thanks, guys! I just baked some cream cheese pound cakes today, baking cakes on all three racks, and found that the bottom rack cooked much faster than the top rack. I ended up switching all the cakes around part way through to try and even things out. I think I understand the convection concept a little better now but I might be sending this thing back anyway since the main reason I got it was so that I could save time by baking multiple cakes at once. Without that, I...
Darn. Well, at least I can bake more cakes at a time. Thanks for the help!
Thanks for the recipe, Leah! Looking forward to trying it...people I know and bake for don't like the taste of the MBCs, and I have to say I agree. Maybe that's just my uneducated palate but I'm hoping the hybrid version strikes a nice balance.
For some good pointers, go to www.bakerella.com (the guru of cake pops) or try looking for the tutorial of The Pioneer Woman's website: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/03/cake-pop-lesson-1-the-cake-ball/. (Not sure if the link will work.) Bakerella went to The Pioneer Woman's ranch and there are some really good step-by-step instructions there. I just made some chocolate mint balls myself for Christmas, adding 1/2 tsp of peppermint extract to 1 pound of the...
I just got a convection oven two months ago and have been struggling a little with it. It is one of the "good" convection ovens, with the heating element around the fan, as opposed to without the extra heating element. It auto-adjusts the temperature to account for the fact that I'm using it on the convect setting. And I put a thermometer inside and have verified that the temperature is accurate. I've found that everything is taking longer to bake than the indicated...