Posts by KuyaRomeo

Sorry, it took me so long to get back to this thread . . . and catch up with all of those who did reply.Thank you to everyone: the good, the bad and the ugly. ALL of the information was helpful - and I am even glad to see some of the negativity on both sides. It helps us all grow, I hope.When posting this, I never meant any intent to put any other bakers down - whether it was scratch, or box. Box is not my thing. That's just me. I don't like that all the...
As many of you know (as I have shared a lot on the forum), we started out last year making high end, gourmet cakes and cupcakes from scratch, out of a rented commercial kitchen.Our cakes were made from the best ingredients we could find, and we put our heart and souls into each and every one of them. But we struggled to find 'competitive pricing' in our area, as the cost of good ingredients and labor pushed our cake prices beyond most of our local bakeries.We also learned...
Read a lot on this forum and all over the net (via google) trying to decide how and when it is appropriate to use a trademark name. Can't really find answers, so I want to gather some opinions or how do you currently deal with this?Example: Let's say there is a very popular liquor called ChocoLiquor1. I know it is not OK to call to name my cake the "ChocoLiquor Cake". But, can I name it the "Chocolate Dream Cake" and then state "Flavored with ChocoLiquor® " And then...
Has anyone had any experience in shipping a cake?A few years ago, I ordered a cake from a place in NYC. It came same day shipping (as we were only a few hours away) and it was delivered in a Foam box that had a circle cut out where the cake fit nicely. The cake was frozen, and then placed in a clear plastic wrap and sealed, then put in the Foam box with dry ice. It arrived still frozen solid.I would like to accomplish the same effect, but not sure exactly how . . 1. I...
Thank you. In other recent posts, we were contemplating closing...and are doing very thing possible to hang in there financiallyCurrent status: still hanging in there.
To clear up the interest of why we would be interested in shipping if local sales are slow??We bake inside of a chocolate shoppe who does 98% of their profit fom Internet sales and shipping. This December they did over $50,00 in shipping sales. The owner has asked several times if we would be interested in listing our cake pops on their online service. I was just trying to see if we need labels, to do this because it's a no cost possible way to increase our sales. The...
I am not sure we are on the same page, or looking at the same application ... 1. The woman who called from the FDA said we can ship without issues so long as we register (all food businesses must register regardless of shipping). 2. She gave me a link to register our bakery online. It was only a few pages, and took less than 5 minutes. 3. She said I did not need FDA approved kitchen, and was covered under local health dept. not sure why you needed one.... Perhaps...
This is the link provided by th woman on the phone from the FDA (who was super nice and very helpful)http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodDefense/Bioterrorism/FoodFacilityRegistration/default.htmAny food business must register (whether you ship or not)I just competed our registration.
Thank you to everyone who shared their insight and experiences regarding the shipping of perishable baked goods.And thank you Jason_Kraft for providing that last FDA number where I finally got a call back from.1. My contact at the Health Department deemed nothing wrong and nothing additional needed to ship.2. My contact at the Farm & AG Department deemed nothing wrong and nothing needed on their end in order for me to ship my product.3. Today I received a returned phone...
Agiain . . . lots of good information . . . interesting information . . . yet very conflicting information.As a small business . . it is really hard to always know what to do and where to even find the guidelines . . I will keep looking and begin doing what I need to do, by using common sense . . . while still looking. I will document every contact and attempted contact . . so I can at least show a path of really trying to do the right thing. That's the best I can...