Posts by KuyaRomeo

HiLike you, I have been shopping around. I started with Liberty Mutual, as they provide my home ins. They told me they do not offer commercial insurance, but offered up a recommended agent . . . which I immediately called.I will be working out of home, under Home Food Processor Exemption. Wholesaling baked goods.The agent, found me 2 million dollar policy, for $420 year. I felt that was much better than I could have hoped for.I see you are in NY . . .so pm me and I...
I am a web designer/ computer programmer (by day). I work for a very large, well known international company . . as well as have my own web design business at home.(So, how did I end up here making cakes? Long story, worked in an upscale bakery during college, decorating cakes . . had a GREAT time, and although I love programming - I still have that yearning to get back into the cake world).That being said . . pm me . . perhaps I can give you some advice . . or point...
Site looks great . . but your cakes are what really takes the . . . cake!Great cake gallery!
Good to know . . I think I will stick with KA !!!On another (sort of related) note:I am shocked at how many bakery and shops use cake box mix??? I am not saying that is a bad thing, but just very very surprised to know. Personally I won't do it . . it is just one of my selling points that everything is from scratch. BUT . . is it really that you prefer the cake mix? or just better for time consumption when baking in larger quantities? Just curious.
Thanks for the responses. I will try both the King Arthur and the Bakers and Chefs brand. If my cakes come out the same . . I will go with the Bakers and Chefs . . as it is much cheaper. Although, King Arthur is still cheaper then what I pay for the Grocery Store prices.I see they have McCormick pure Vanilla for only $7 16 oz bottle. I will stick with that, as I have always used McCormick . . . but used to pay $7 for a 4 oz bottle at the market . . Gosh, I feel...
We have made a name for ourselves, locally, with our cakes. We get rave reviews, and I truly believe it's because we use nothing but quality fresh ingredients. I will spend the extra money and get good stuff, rather then cheap out and make a buck.On that note . . the best thing I EVER did, was join Sam's Club Business Member today. I see that I can really cut down the cost of my cakes by buying good quality ingredients in bulk . . rather then the supermarket, like I was...
Ahhhh you have a retail / commercial kitchen in your home now. You are very lucky. We can not yet afford that. We have a 5 and 10 year plan.short term: home food processing and attempt to make just enough cakes for restaurants, etc to be able to rent a shared commercial kitchen then do direct retail sales . .hoping to increase production and eventually get our own bakery shop, AND/Or in home second kitchen to do wedding cakes, etc.Good for you that you were able to...
Thank you! Good to know.I won't be doing any retail at all, until we can get into a shared commercial kitchen. Farm markets are not easy to get into . . and I don't have much access to selling at them . . .
Thank you for your input. Our venue is restaurants, banquet halls, catering companies, etc. So we will be mostly selling whole 10" banquet style cakes (until we can get them to change the law, or make enough profit to rent a shared kitchen)So u guess I need to weigh a cake and put that on the label?I will discuss it with the inspector, as you recommend. I just wanted a rough idea, as he will want to see some samples of our labels during the inspection.
Ok, So I have been working on my labels . . to get ready for my Home Food Processor inspection:I have my company name, address, cake name, and ingredients listed (to what I believe is correct). But the final thing I think I have to add is contents . . such as weight . . etc.How does one list the weight of a cake? Can I say contains:1 10" cake. OR do I have to say weight: 92 oz.A cake is sold as an item, not by weight . . and each cake may weigh different . . how does...