Posts by TexasCakes77

How soon before using them for a cake can I dip strawberries in chocolate? My brother is getting married and I am making his cake and the bride's cake and I am a little worried about time... I'm hoping I could do them a day or even 2 in advance. Is this wise???
LOL, maybe I will! Thanks everyone!
That's exactly what I mean, I just don't know where it would end if something like this snowballed into free cake after free cake and all they have to do is say, "I didn't like it". How would we ever have a business that would survive?
I have not ignored her, I apologized and asked her questions about it, temperature eaten etc, - she didn't respond to me and it's been 3 days. I replied and gave her an ear that was willing to listen, what am I supposed to do if she refuses to respond to me? I am at a complete loss at what else to do besides beg this lady to let me bake a free cake for her - and I just am not interested in doing that. I'm not desperate for customers. It was jarring to have had my first...
Most of my customers are repeat customers! I have gotten thank you cards for my cakes artwork and quality. I have gotten many compliments for the taste of my cakes. I really do not understand some of you bakers who are so quick to assume if we have a customer complain, then we must have a bad product! You know, sometimes we need to vent on here or just get some support from those who do the same thing we do. Call me crazy but I had no idea this would turn into me having...
Just having time to think about it, I don't see why I shold worry about changing a recipe b/c ONE person complained. Obviously everyone has different preferences in taste and texture. If we had to make sure to please everyone we would be changing our recipes on a constant basis. How many products constanltly change their recipe for the people who don't like it? There are people that do - and changing for the ones who don't like it - you may lose the people who do like it....
Like I stated earlier, I had cake scraps leftover from that cake - and it was fudgy like a brownie, it was NOT dry at all. It was my assumption that she interpreted the density as "dry". I don't make cakes that are light and fluffy, I don't like working with them b/c I worry that the structure of it isn't sound when making a complicated or unusual design. I have experienced cake disasters like light fluffy cakes and it isn't worth the worry for me. That is just the type of...
Thank you all very much for the tips!! Now for the next question... and this may require a new thread but perhaps some of you more experienced business people can help me...Do you guys accept personal checks? I am really not comfortabe doing this but I have no idea how to begin enforcing this rule without sounding like a mean jerk who is making customer's lives difficult or inconvenient. The thing is, some people will write bad checks... and I don't feel like taking a bath...
I was just wondering, when some of you do wedding cakes, do you rent out or loan your display (stands or etc) - or do you include that cost in the cake order and leave it with the customer? I am just not sure how to go about this the right way if I get into wedding cakes more seriously. I am also afraid of not getting my equipment back if I am loaning it out. Usually I just use the cake boards and dowels but when I think abut using the more expensive sps supplies - the...
Thank you so much for your input. I agree completely. The cake was just as cute as can be and I wasn't unhappy with any aspect of it. I don't send anything out unless I feel I have done my best and it is as close to perfect as possible. It looked great and I was proud of it. I just will never be available for this woman again - if she ever contacts me for cake in the future.