Posts by escaliba1234

I first began by doing a year's course of basic cake decorating at night technical college. I was very fortunate in my two teachers, a mother and daughter, who were both excellent. They made each lesson fun, as well as practical.There is no learning like hands-on learning and each lesson we had to complete a finished cake.It was a brilliant starting point.What was most beneficial to your learning experience. Always try to end up with a finished product, even if it might be...
I seem to get such varying results using fondant.Last week I covered a cake in fondant and everything went perfectly fromt start to finish.Three days later, using the same type of fondant, I did another cake and the results were shocking. I had to remove all the fondant in the end and go for other options.I am rather puzzled as to why this happens; it is not the first time by a long shot.Some days it rolls out easily and smooths onto the cake in minutes.Other times I can...
I seem to get such varying results using fondant.Last week I covered a cake in fondant and everything went perfectly fromt start to finish.Three days later, using the same type of fondant, I did another cake and the results were shocking. I had to remove all the fondant in the end and go for other options.I am rather puzzled as to why this happens; it is not the first time by a long shot.Some days it rolls out easily and smooths onto the cake in minutes.Other times I can...
Emily, there is a very good tutorial for making the death star cake on this site.It is under Cake Projects by Smurfesque.I have been studying it in great depth because I am about to make my first death star cake.Good luck.
I am so sorry for you, too, but you coped brilliantly!Do you know exactly what happened?
I have been following this dreadful saga with great interest.It must be a dreadful experience for those it happens to.I am a novice so forgive me if this seems obvious, but when you deliver a finished cake to a function, do you get it signed off?Meaning, a statement saying you have delivered a finished cake in perfect condition, which must not be moved etc and that you are not responsible for what others do after you have left?I have noticed in recent years, one needs the ...
Sue, I made a game board cake last week, so have just had some fun with squares!Cake was a perfect 10 inch square with very sharp edges, which made an excellent base to work on.I covered the cake with white fondant, then ruled a grid of 8 x 8 1 inch squares, using a black food marker.This gave room for a board surround or edging.I painted the squares in the colours I wanted for my game board, using liquid icing colours and a small paint brush.The black outlines of the...
I am with you 100%.Guided by this forum, I purchased a plain, thick, smooth piece of clear vinyl from the local furniture store.It works brilliantly.Because I got the end of the roll, I got a 3 metre sheet for around eight dollars.I cut it into two pieces and put one away for when needed, later.As I have to count every dollar, I was delighted with the outcome.
Could anyone please suggest a simple, plain, ordinary, basic Vanilla Cup Cake Recipe?That is all I am after.Was rather staggered by all the wonderful variations on the site but would like the basic recipe.Many thanks.
Very amusing, reading all the ideas!Amazing how we all see things so differently.To me, it could not be anything but a bird and I see this idea has a few other takers, too.Enjoy your cutter and take your pick of our ideas!