Posts by threetexastots

Have you tried using colored sparkling sugar? I get mine at a baking supply shop but some of the decorator sugars at Michael's/Hobby Lobby are really sparkly/iridescent. Sometimes I use the sanding sugar and sometimes the sugar crystals, depending on what color I need/can find. I sell little cutout cookies covered in sugar and everyone always asks for the "sparkly cookies." Recently I got some Wilton silver glitter to use on cupcakes and I did not find it very sparkly at...
She said the holes are too small for cupcakes, that was my first suggestion, too!
Hi, a friend of mine came across this Christmas tree pan, and we cannot figure out how it's supposed to be used. It would leave large holes in the cake - to be filled with something, maybe? I tried googling and couldn't find it, she emailed Wilton and has not heard back.   Thanks for any help you can provide!      
I am just starting to dabble in edible images because a friend who moved away gave me a bunch of the Kopykake frosting sheets. I am really not interested in investing in the printer, etc., so what I've been experimenting with is using rubber stamps that you ink with paste food color thinned with vodka. The way I've done it is to make a pad of paper towels (fold a couple so you have 8-10 layers thick), then wet with vodka and smear with the paste color until it soaks in....
I think that is such a great idea!! Personally I don't think knives are a bad idea. I have done lots of parties with kindergarteners/1st graders with cookie decorating, I always do a dixie cup of frosting and a plastic knife for each kid, and they really don't get too messy at all. Trying to use a bag (baggie or pastry bag) with kids has always been more challenging, IMO, they just don't seem to have the dexterity until they are older. With really little kids I have used...
My local baking supply shop sells thin cardboard inserts that fit in a small square box (6x6, I think) to hold 4 cupcakes. Maybe a store near you has something? I have also found decorative cupcake boxes at Marshalls/TJ Maxx that are a bit cheaper than the ones at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.
I put mine in a cake box with the lid propped open (I tape the sides of the lid at at angle). The cake is mostly protected this way. The box I use is approx 10x10x4. I also put a small piece of tape in between the cake circle and the box bottom to keep the cake from sliding around (it is enough to keep it from sliding but unsticks easily when you put your hand under to get the cake out). Not long ago I saw boxes made for giant cupcakes on a website somewhere but I don't...