Posts by abchambers

This was the weekend of the grooms cake with the tricky logo! I ended up going with a frozen buttercream transfer as this was what I was comfortable doing....I've never worked with royal icing and I didn't have enough time to practice before the wedding. I think it turned out pretty nice! I ended up using a small tip for the outlining, so I think that helped. Here's a picture for all that had asked!
Awesome! I knew the color would be a little more yellow, and when I tasted/smelled the cake, it seemed to be the same. Just wanted to make sure!!
Yikes, I had a brain fart and added whole eggs (instead of just the whites) to my basic white cake mix (Duncan Hines brand). How bad is this going to affect the outcome of my cake??
Hey all! I'm doing a grooms cake in a couple of weeks. The groom plays on a hockey team, so they want a simple cake with the teams logo in the middle (I've attached the logo). I'm trying to figure out the best way to recreate the logo. My original thought was to do a frozen buttercream transfer, but I'm afraid there is too much detail and the frosting will just end up running together into one hot mess! Then I thought, maybe I can use fondant and piece together. But again,...
I haven't tried it either...but seeing as how both are citrus based, it couldn't taste BAD....
This is just a vent really. I'll start off by saying I'm a hobby cake decorator and 95% of my "customers" are family and friends. The rest of my time is spent on a full-time job (40 hrs/wk), planning a wedding, and not to mention my house is currently on the market which means clean, clean, clean all the time! I don't have to time to worry about whether a customer (aka friend....albeit not a close friend) is going to follow through on a cake order!She emailed me a good...
I always use BC and it usually doesn't give me problems. The trick is to let it firm up before you cover it. Try sticking it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes and take it out right before you cover it.
Invest in a good scraper for the sides. Make sure your buttercream is thin enough (for the longest time I couldn't figure out why my BC was giving me a rough stucco look. Turns out, I just need to thin it out a bit). The process I find that is easiest is: Apply a crumb coat, let it sit in the freezer for 10 minutes. Put on another coat, freeze for 10 min. And then put on a final coat and let it sit out in the open and crust for about 30 minutes. Once it has a good crust, I...
For me, I have a calendar that I am able to look at all day (it sits on my desk that I'm at 8hrs a day). I write down all the little details I want/need to get scheduled. That way, I have a constant reminder of what needs to get done either that day, the next day, a week from today, etc. Also, if I look at each day, instead of the WHOLE project, it gets a little less intimidating. For example, if I see that Wednesday I need to color fondant, its much more manageable than...
Glad you stuck to your guns! This story reminds me of when I used to be a server. We had a certain group of people that would ALWAYS come in and by the end of the night they had their whole meal comped and left with a free dessert. They complained that the food was burnt, didn't taste good, didn't taste right, etc etc etc......whatever excuse you could come up with, they had. The problem is, the managers would always comp their meal, so they'd continue to come back and do...