Posts by Jamie_L

I definitely wish I had researched this situation early so that I would have had time to order an SPS system. Unfortunately there is no time to do that.  I will definitely plan on it next time if there ever is a next time.  Thank you all for your suggestions and support.
Thanks to those who replied.  If I use wooden dowel rods, do I need foam board between the tiers?  Do I need to glue multiple pieces of foam board together?  If I use dowels, do I use the same number of dowels that I would use for straws?  What size dowels should I buy? Where can I buy the SPS system?  Is it something Walmart would carry? If they only have round plates, is it possible to use those under a square cake? Do I just sit the cake board on the plate or attach it...
I only bake cakes for friends and family.  I have never made a large wedding cake.  Normally I use bubble tea straws to support the tiers but this cake seems so heavy.  Can I use bubble tea straws and just use more or is there something else I need to support the tiers?  I just bought a cake drum at the local cake supply shop and I am wondering if it is sturdy enough to support the cake.  Should I stack the cake at home and then transport or stack at the venue?  I would...
It was for a set of square cake pans and 2 lbs of fondant.  I am starting to think my order is 'lost' somewhere at Sweetwise.  When I check the UPS tracking number all it says is that "a label has been created" and UPS is waiting to receive the package.  I e-mailed them a couple of times - once directly from my e-mail and once using their online contact form.  I received an e-mail on the 15th saying that Sweetwise received my order and it was debited from my bank on...
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to receive items ordered from Sweetwise?  According to their website, they ship orders received by 10:00 am usually ship the same day.  I placed an order on Sunday July 14th and it still has not shipped out yet.  I am disappointed... :-(  I live in Kansas and  I was hoping to receive my order this week or early next week but since it has not even been shipped, I am sure I won't receive until late next week. Maybe I should have...
Maybe this is a silly question but I am just a hobby decorator and don't make many cakes... When a cake with rhinestone is cut, do you take the rhinestones off on that entire tier? If you used it for a wedding cake, would you need to make sure the 'break' in the rhinestones are in the back so the bride and groom can cut the cake but it still looks pretty in the front? How do you attach the rhinestones?  Any advice on using rhinestones and rhinestone ribbons is appreciated.
I use card stock to make hundreds of butterflies for my mom's 80th birthday party.  Just make sure your fondant/gumpaste is not too wet so that they don't stick to the paper.  You can line it with wax paper or dust it with corn starch.  Also moving them around some as they dry will help so that they are not just in the same place the entire time.
Has anyone traveled with a frozen cake using dry ice in a cooler??
I need to bake a cake on Monday that won't be served until Friday.  We will be traveling 16 hours and spending one night in a hotel.  I was thinking about freezing it before we leave and then putting it in an ice chest with regular ice or dry ice.  Traveling with it unfrosted then icing it and covering it in fondant after we arrive.     Any suggestions??
Thanks for the great suggestions! I am just very nervous!