Posts by TheCakePrincess2

I just did a cake for a Bar Mitzvah in which the theme was basketball. Because I was extremely afraid of the ball falling apart, I simply bought 2 regulation sized basketballs from the $5 and below store and used fondant to mold around the ball. I molded half on each ball so that when the molds were dry I could put the two halves together to make one whole ball. I used royal icing to "glue" the halves. Then, i used orange edible sparkles around the entire ball and cut...
You can try to use a mixture of equal parts corn syrup and a clear spirit like vodka. Mix the corn syrup and vodka together until incorporated and brush on the modelling chocolate. I use this to make fondant chocolate shiny and it works great! The vodka evaporates so there is no taste and when it dries, it is not sticky. Hope that helps.
I was asked to make a cake for a 70th birthday party featuring all of the local sports teams. I decided to make a sports bag with sports balls around the base and an ice hockey skate. Then coming out of the sports bag I will make a football jersey, t-shirt, baseball cap and bat, tennis racquet and pennant with the logos of the various teams handpainted on each of them. I figure including baking time etc, I will spend about 30-40 hours on this cake, maybe less. How...
I am soooo glad that you asked this question. I am faced with the same dilemma as well, although the cake that I am doing is for a well-known party planner/decorator. I recently reconnected with her and she asked me to send her a drawing for a cake for a 70th birthday party featuring local sports teams. I came up with the idea of a sports bag with all of the items coming out of the bag and various sports balls around the base with sneakers, etc. I know that the time...
I recently received a cake order from a client who needs the cake in 3 weeks. The good new is that she wants a dummy cake because it wont be served. The bad news is, she wants the top tier to be a real chocolate chip cake which obviously is usually not a problem since I am a cake baker/decorator. The reason why this is a problem is because I will be out of the country on vacation when this dummy cake is being delivered and will not be able to bake the real tier. My...