Posts by getonthemove

Our USPS office doesn't always ask if the package contains flammable, breakable, or something than can spoil, even though they should.  When they ask, I always tell them it is cake or cookies and they leave it up to me to decide if I want it marked fragile.  If one wants to be reimbursed for damage during transit, one must definitely be honest with the carrier when purchasing the extra insurance.  If you don't purchase insurance, the most you could possibly get back from...
Thank you, but I should probably give credit to my husband since it was actually his idea.
I have successfully mailed four fondant covered cakes since September through the USPS using priority mail.  What I did was find a cake box that was the closest in size to the finished cake (they were different sizes) and then filled all the empty space in the box with stale miniature marshmallows.  Then packed that box tightly inside of a corrugated box.  I didn't want the inside box shifting around while in transit.   The three days that the September cake spent in...
I second AnnieCahill on the amaretto ganache.  That was the first thing that popped into my head when I read your post.  Chocolate cupcake filled with amaretto ganache covered in amaretto buttercream.  My mouth is drooling, think I should go make some cupcakes.
If you wanted to try something different, rather than the standard coconut or vanilla, you could do a search for flavored rum.  Any of the flavors that they already mix with rum should pair rather well with rum flavored cupcakes.  Bacardi does pineapple, different berries, and melon to name just a few.
How do you easily crush them after they are made?  I have modeled a few times without crushing them, but I was looking for the bumpy texture.
For those who crush your cereal when making RKT for modeling, do you use the same ratio of marshmallow to cereal as you do if you were making them for eating?  I have read that you can get a smoother finish if you crush the cereal before making the RKT, but I haven't been able to find any info as to whether the recipe should be different than "normal".   Thanks for any help!
I covered a fondant cake with sanding sugar.  I just brushed the fondant with some water to make it tacky and then pressed the sanding sugar to it to make it stick.  I did the day before the party and the cake had to travel 70 miles away before we ate it.   Good luck with whatever you try.
If you are looking to start playing with gumpaste to make flowers, I would suggest craftsy.com.  Actually, they have a lot of classes on cake decorating.  I had never used gumpaste or made flowers before and tried one of their classes.  I learned a lot for being a total newbie.  I like them because I am a very visual learner and I can watch them at my leisure and repeat them as often as I want.  Other options would be to do a google search for tutorials on what you want...
I have never had a white chocolate peanut butter cake before, but Peanut Butter & Co. makes a white chocolate peanut butter that is very yummy.  They have a recipe for a 10 layer cake with white chocolate peanut butter frosting on their website:  ilovepeanutbutter.com  The frosting does call for their White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter, so not sure if you can get that in your area.  If you can't, they do have a recipe for white chocolate peanut butter in their...