Posts by SweetHeartTart

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone out there has the answer for me or at least a tip I haven't thought of.  I need to make a few sheet cakes and found a recipe that works, only problem is that is domes a bit in the middle.  For a regular round or square cake, I can easily use cake strips, but I can't use them for the sheet cake pan.  I also don't use flower nails because, well, the cake cooks through just fine...it just domes.  Any idea's on how to bake a sheet cake so...
These are all great recommendations, but personally, when I'm dealing with a moist cake, I like to freeze my layers.  It's just easier to torte, fill and crumb coat (zero crumbs and mess doing it this way, by the way!).  Then I put it in the fridge to let it settle for a little while and carry on as usual. Hasn't let me down yet :)
Hello all,Just wanted to get your opinions for those of you out there who use Confectioner's Choice fondant. Don't get me wrong, I think it's wonderful fondant to work with and tints lights colors really well, but when it comes to dark colors (blue, purple, brown, black...etc), this fondant fails miserably. Sometimes it takes me a tonne of experimenting with several different colors (plus lots of $$ spent on gel colors) to get a 'similar' color to what I'm trying to...
Until I got into 'caking', I too thought 3D cakes were ridiculously overcharged. NOW I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY!!! To be honest, I sometimes wonder if it's worth it (financially and time wise) to continue cake decorating. When I was charging $3/serving (I know, what was I thinking??), I couldn't keep up with the orders...now I know why. I've changed my price to $4.50/serving and the orders haven't slowed down that much. I reasearched other cake decorators in my area,...
I am a busy exec during the day, I travel 1.5 hours each way to get to and from work, my laptop and BB are always on and buzzing, my kids are 3 & 7 and heavily involved in activities AND I decorate cakes at night....what was I thinking?? Recently, I put up a post about scratch vs. boxed baking and my frustrations with that, but I've come to realize that I just don't have to time to dedicate to scratch baking. Cake decorating and baking are things I enjoy, but my...
As a mother of 2 young kids and a full time job while cake decorating on the side, perhaps the time to test scratch cakes is not realistic. You have all helped me to realize that maybe I should be honing my craft in perfecting the "boxed" cake and worry about scratch baking when the kids get a little older...LOL! Thank you, thank you everyone for all your wonderful tips and especially those recipes. I can not wait to try them I'll post back when I've tried them...
OMG, you ladies are incredible. I can't believe how much valuable info I picked up from reading this thread. You all really helped me out so much. I have been careful to use only cake flour recently, but maybe using my scale would yield better results as well. I can't wait to try some of these recipes and by the way, I'm really disappointed that my recent purchase of the Cake Bible was all in vain...LOL! Oh well and jgifford - you are SO right. There are enough...
Thanks jgifford....I don't mean to offend. If anything, I LOVE boxed cakes..always have and always will, but there's something so satisfying about baking from scratch. QTCakes1, I realize consistency is KEY so I always make sure to be consistent with every recipe, but like I said, it's a hit or miss with me. Just bought The Cake Bible...maybe that'll help??? Thanks for your replies...any other feedback is greatly welcomed and appreciated!
Hi all,I'm pretty new to this cake decorating gig (Feb/2011) and really enjoy the creative freedom cake decorating gives me, but enough with the horrible tasting cakes already!!! I know my family and friends are being nice by telling me my cakes taste "fine" but when I try them, they taste horrible...they're either to dry, flavorless, or taste like they're raw (even though I exceed cooking times and they're practically burnt on the tops).The only cakes that come out...