Posts by handovertheasparagus

Oh, awesome! I will definitely try that. Thanks!I'm so miffed that they changed their mix!
I love the WASC recipe and I use it often, but yesterday was the first time I have made WASC since DH changed their mix. When I served and ate the cake the texture was wrong...it was denser and sort of gummy-not at all what I am used to. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the changed mix, but I thought I would ask.Has anyone else had this problem? The only variation to the basic recipe was that I omitted the almond extract and I added a box of pudding, but I...
It won't show. The white wedding cake in my pics was iced with chocolate ganache and covered in white fondant...no problem at all!
Thanks everyone. It means a lot...Both cakes turned out fine, and now I can concentrate on time with family and maybe try to catch up on sleep. I was amused at my hubby, who at one point over the weekend suggested that if I plan on making a business out of doing cakes, I would need a strict 9-5/40 hour week schedule. No staying up all night or multiple cakes at once. He was sure that's how the professionals do it. I laughed. I know he meant well, but I told him you...
....that the cakes can somehow tell when you are tired/stressed/short on time/having a bad day and they think it's funny to make it worse. Seriously. This week has been one big cake disaster.I started with one cake booked for the weekend- for my cousins bridal tea. I was already planning on attending that tea, as well as another one the following day(today). The aunt of the bride for today's tea calledme Tuesday to ask me to make that cake as well. I like more notice...
I would probably use a basic yellow cake and fill it with whipped cream and sliced strawberries between the layers. Of course, if it's being sculpted I'm not sure if fresh strawberries would lend themselves to the carving. Maybe alternate layers of yellow and strawberry cake with whipped cream filling?
. Ooh! I need to try that! It looks like a variation of the WASC as well, and doubled, which I needed anyway! Thanks! Though I'll probably need to leave out the Bavarian cream filling, as much as I would hate to.
It turned out pretty well. The sugared top turned out a little more chewy and less crispy than I anticipated but still not bad. I know I can't get the same texture in a cake as a creamy custard, but I was hoping to capture some of the Creme Brûlée flavor...that rich and yummy vanilla/caramel/hint of orange....The Creme Brûlée filling sounds good! But I'm betting it need refrigeration...
So... I'm making a cake for my cousins wedding shower this weekend and for the last week I have been pondering flavors. (flavor choice was left up to me) I was originally going with a simple WASC cake, but today I had an idea for a "Creme Brûlée" cake.I've seen creme brûlée cupcake with the tops torched, but I haven't seen or heard of a Creme brûlée CAKE before. That doesn't mean it hasn't been done before though, lol. I thought back to my days working in the pastry...
The recipe I use for ganache is 1 part cream to 2 parts chocolate. I haven't made the white chocolate ganache, but I know its a little different...I want to say its 1 part cream to 3 parts chocolate, but don't hold me to that...I'll have to look it up. The regular ganache has always worked like a dream for me though!