Posts by tracyaem

I got one of these last night, the surprising thing was they filled out my whole internet order form (it wasn't just the generic email that I've gotten tons of times). They went to the trouble to fill out about a dozen fields of info! Almost enough to tempt me to play with them... almost :)   And I'm in the camp that just doesn't get the scam. Yes, I get the mechanics of it - you bill them extra, give a courier cash, payment turns out to be fake, etc. But really, for...
I was only counting the corners once. If there are no cakes in the middle (i.e. perimeter only) then it's 68. If the cakes are filled in, it's 6 rows of 6 which is 36, for example. But from this pic you can't tell and I would assume they wouldn't waste all that space in the middle (particularly on the bottom tiers). But I suppose crazier things have happened...   Regardless, not relevant to the question as price is still per cake.
I would charge $65 for the top tier and $5/mini cake for $575 total.   I believe there are 102 small cakes:   Bottom tier is 6 x 6 = 36 Next tier is 5 x 5 = 25 Next tier is 4 x 4 = 16 Next tier is 4 x 4 (again) = 16 Top tier is 3 x 3 = 9 Total = 102
I think the fondant needs to be soft. I did the cake in my avatar with the wilton embossing tool and a ribbon as a guide. Used stick pins to hold the ribbon so the lines were a consistent width apart. (Actually, to be honest I did that for the first 2 or 3 lines then it got tedious and I eye-balled it).
Your cake is great! I would have charged $175 plus the cost of the Tinkerbell toy.   It's hard to put a value on your work, but remember it's your time that's the main commodity (not the flour, eggs, etc). I have a spreadsheet for every cake I quote that has the actual costs (ingredients, boards, boxes, etc) and has a mock schedule so I can see how much time it will take. I make sure I'm getting at least a set amount per hour. If I can't get at least that, I'd rather...
According to Wilton, an 11x15 double layer serves 60. I can't tell from the pic, but it looks like a single layer maybe? So 30 servings (ignoring the hat). Regardless, you seriously undercharged! Especially if you were buying Wilton fondant retail, that stuff ain't cheap!   And yes, I agree that the lady was not asking outright for a free cake... but when people lead off with "if you pass the test, I'll give you oodles of business" they know what they are doing....
Your cake is adorable, I think this woman is just trouble. My guess is with all the "if you pass the test, you'll get lots of business" hype she was hoping to get a discount/freebie on this cake and you would never hear from her again. May I ask what size the cake was and what you charged? My guess is she's just pulling the same scam with her new classifieds post. She'll find some other baker to do a cheap cake and promise tons of business if it's good.   The people...
For a 9-inch with no figures, $88.
Wowzers...   For the original I would have charged ~$1100. For the hot mess it wound up being, I would have apologized to the client.   There should be a hidden cam reality show with the reactions of people when they see the cake they get versus the cake they expected.
  Very well said!   I got caught up in the "you should sell cakes" phenomena too and for a few months couldn't understand why I was loosing so much money! I now have a well defined price structure and don't stray from it. Time away from my family is important and has a price. I still get plenty of orders, so people are willing to pay. And those that aren't, no worries - sometimes I'm glad when a client turns down a quote and I have a free weekend! :)