Posts by tracyaem

I agree with others, you need to figure out your price per serving for a buttercream cake and a fondant cake (and make sure to charge extra for extra gumpaste flowers, intricate designs, etc.). A basic buttercream cake (I'm talking shell border, and maybe a happy bday message) is $2.50/serving. So for 75 people we're talking close to $200. I don't care if it's a sheet, a round, or a square. It's still cake and a serving is a serving. For fondant covered with flowers and...
When giving a quote, I give a few options for tier sizes around their expected turnout and recommend rounding up. Better to have too much cake then not enough!
I'll join in and post one. I've only been caking for about a year so this is no where near the level of previous...
This drives me nuts! I don't do wedding cakes, only celebration cakes and cupcakes and I get asked all the time about tastings. I finally implemented a policy of charging $25/tasting (tasting is a dozen cupcakes in a max of 3 flavor combinations) and only for events of 75+ servings. If they book, the $25 is deducted from the total.   I had someone email me back and forth for 2 weeks about a baby shower cake for 40 people. Finally nailed down specifics on design and...
I trade cake for advertising and my tax preparation! A woman from my mommy group runs a local website/e-newsletter that is geared towards parents in the area. She runs my ad and I give her and her business partner 2 birthday cakes/year (yes, I specified the value of the cakes to be provided!). And my sister-in-law is a CPA so she does my taxes in exchange for 2 cakes/year for her kids birthdays. That's a straight-up win for me since I would have done their cakes for free...
The comment was definitely rude, but I would steer clear of ever mentioning price on FB, especially for a specific cake already sold. You can always say cakes range from "$ to $$ per serving".   And I'm thinking of it from the customer's angle (not your business, competition, etc). If I was the one who had purchased that cake I would be offended that you posted the price. They probably don't want the entire FB public knowing how much they spent.
I got the one from Cake Structure (~$50). It has templates for the straps, a sole cutter, and (most importantly) the heel mold. I had to make 1 or 2 to get the hang of it, but thought the third came ok decent (one in my avatar pic). And it comes in a cute shoe box :)
I do both. If I'm being honest, I'm not that great with gumpaste flowers yet. So to get a few that I'm happy with can take hours. If I can buy it for a few bucks, it just makes sense ($10 versus 3 hours? no brainer). I keep an eye out when I'm buying supplies and if I see any flowers on the cheap I'll stash them. I saw mini roses in the exact color I needed for cupcake toppers recently (28 for $4). Um, yeah.... I bought em and when the cupcakes were topped in 2 minutes...
I'm a big fan of spreadsheets and plan out my busy weeks and try and lump together similar tasks as much as possible.   I make whatever fondant/gumpaste decorations I can far in advance. Icings/fillings are usually made on Mondays/Tuesdays. I read on here about using dummies to dry fondant on (so the pieces are curved like the cake) - genius! And for cupcakes, using saran "tubes" that you can plop into the piping bags is probably my favorite tip :)   Cakes I bake...
Yes, that's part of the reason I have a love/hate relationship with cakes. I will literally lie awake at night thinking of how I could have made it better and whenever I deliver I hold my breath waiting for the client to say they like it. It's getting a bit better the more I do, but the nervousness is always there!   That's why I kind of prefer selling cupcakes. I've never stayed awake at night stressing over a cupcake :) I'll churn out hundreds of them without...