Posts by tracyaem

Hmmm.... me thinks I need to add wording about "consultations" to my website as well. I swear, I spend more time tweaking my FAQs to head off these types of annoyances than I do updating pics and actually promoting the business.   And you're right Jason, some people will pay regardless. But as long as the price is right on our end, I suppose we shouldn't complain :)
Toptier - thank you, great suggestion!   This issue has nothing to do with my kitchen or its cleanliness. I am fully legal and inspected - have a nice little certificate hanging up. PA does not have drop-in inspections, only annual scheduled visits (which has nothing to do with customer meetings). I don't believe any states require customers to inspect your kitchen.   My concern is about time and scheduling. With working full-time and having kids, most of my...
I understand tastings and design consultations for weddings and/or large parties. But is it normal to meet with clients over a 30-50 serving shower or birthday cake? I feel like I can send some pictures of designs and go back and forth easily over email/phone so why do we need to meet? Maybe I'm being overly sensitive since this is a side business for me and everyone wants to meet during the weekdays when I'm at my full-time job.   I've made it clear on my website...
I don't see why it would be an issue. My house is open too - kitchen/breakfast room/family room are all connected without any doors or anything. You don't need a separate kitchen in PA.   Oh, I forgot one more thing you need... a glass of wine ;) Relax - you are definitely prepared!
Yeah, definitely a box. Just seems gross to hand over an uncovered cake. Like others said, too many things could get on it. Plus, just transporting it someone could stick a finger in it by accident.   If I bought a cake and it came without a box I'd be totally skeeved out...
The inspection was very easy. The guy brought his laptop and a small printer and the majority of the time he spent trying to make it work :)   He asked a few questions - mainly around ingredient lists. Definitely have ingredient lists for all of the cakes/fillings/frostings you have on your menu. He also asked about selling things online (I'm not, but if you are he'd probably have follow-ups). He spent maybe 30 seconds looking at my kitchen and pantry. If you have...
  Amen!   I had a feeling this was a troll. Actually, I hoped it was. If this was a real person and this was their real life plan, well... best not to go down that line of thinking.   I feel better now... enough "brakes" reading this thread :)
Actually, in post #20 she states she already has a business plan.
I apologize if my post made you defensive. I really wasn't trying to be negative, but I have given some thought to what it would take to go full-time and I can't find a way to make it feasible (not that others can't, I just can't make the numbers work).   If you already have a business plan in place, you should be able to figure out fairly easily what you need to do to get the $2k you need and if it's reasonable. How much is your average serving? What is your net...
Yeah, hob/small business here too :)   No way I could ever make even close to what my real job brings in. I only became legal so when my coworker's/friend's/cousin's/BFF wants a cake I can charge them (and use the money to buy more fun cake tools!).   In all seriousness, I agree with others. I don't logistically see how one person running their own cake business out of their home could make enough to live on. But I would love to hear if others have! Just...