Posts by tracyaem

I had my card compromised twice from GSA orders. That said, I have ordered from them a few times since but will only use Paypal. And I now have a separate credit card for the business, so it's very easy to see if anything is amiss. I was really annoyed with the situation when it went down, but they have a huge selection, decent prices, and super-quick shipping. So I'm taking the risk and crossing my fingers.
SInce this is for family, it is a slightly different situation. I would not charge my sister $450 for a cake for my niece :)   I thought you were talking about a random stranger. If she is paying though, you may want to note on her invoice a regular price and your discount that gets it down to the $175. And I would use the traditional serving amount (74) in the quote as well. This way if she passes along info to friends, you don't get a rep as the cheap cake lady...
My normal buttercream frosting, plain run of the mill cakes are $3/serving. I would have charged at least $6/serving for this cake, assuming the extra layers are about double the servings. Then probably rounded up to ~$7.50 accounting for the PITA factor and the extra piping on top. And for an 11x15, I would assume 74 servings (from WIlton). So a total of $450-$550 (range dependant on how much I liked this person and how much I know I would loathe making this cake)....
Exactly - make whatever they want, just charge appropriately. If you give them your smallest sheet cake and tell them it serves x and your cost is $y/serving (including an up charge for the extra layers!!!)* they might change their mind. And if not, you'll take their money :)   *The more I think about this, the more I think I'd double my usual per serving charge. I usually do 3 layers of cake and 2 of filling, so a rainbow would be double the amount of cake. And then...
Doing a sheet cake, I'd be scared to make it too thin. Handling those cakes without them cracking is going to be a nightmare. I hate doing sheets even when they're 2 inches tall - I'm so nervous about breakage.   For 30-40 people could you steer them towards a 8 or 9" round? It would be easier to assemble and fit their servings much better. A sheet (even a 9x13) that's six layers is going to be a ton of cake! If you do the sheet, make sure you charge them for the...
I'm personally not a fan of almond, but if that's what the customer wants so be it.   One of my biggest selling cupcakes has a Guinness buttercream filling. I hate Guiness. As in, I start to heave just smelling it, forget about tasting it! Fortunately, hubby is more than willing to taste test for me :)   Anyway, my point is that just b/c we think it's weird or gross doesn't mean others won't love it. I wouldn't say no to any request. If I was horrified by the...
I do a dark chocolate cake with chocolate chips, and a two-toned swirl (half chocolate, half green tinted mint). Like others said, the mint can become overpowering very quickly!  
I think it depends on the cupcake, for a traditional vanilla or chocolate, I like a decent size swirl of icing, almost to the edge (need to leave a bit of room so your fingers don't get all sticky, the box doesn't become a mess, etc.). I also think the spreading with a knife look makes it less professional. I pipe all of my cupcakes that are buttercream. For ganache, I dip them so they come out smooth.   For certain flavors though, a large amount of icing just...
Exactly what Norasmom said!   Fortunately this is not my full-time job or main source of income so I have a good bit of freedom. Most of the profit I make goes back into cake tools :) But it's nice that when that random friend of a friend's cousin wants a cake I can charge for it appropriately and make some extra money. That's the main reason I got legal and went into business. I still do a good bit of cakes for friends and family for free, but the paying customers...
I would charge more than $20/figure especially with the detail she is requesting!  Although to be honest - I'd be hesitant to take this order for the reasons already mentioned, but if you want to "tackle" it (sorry, couldn't resist!) then I'd email back asking for info on the size/# of servings and mention that a basic cake starts at $x/serving (including your PITA markup!) and then the cost per figure. My guess is once she sees that she's paying $150-$200 just for the...