Posts by tracyaem

AHTCakes laid it out the process perfectly. I have a home-based business outside of Philly and it was very easy to get licensed. I only do cakes/cupcakes and did not have to have anything tested. That said - I can't sell anything that's "potentially hazardous", i.e needs refrigeration (cheesecakes, cream based fillings, etc.) To sell any of these items you would need a separate, comercially inspected kitchen.   I believe the only "testing" that would need to be done...
Agree that you've done enough and any more will seem desperate. After I send my quote I wait a week, then send a follow-up email asking if they have any additional questions and reminding them a deposit is needed to secure their date. I end with saying if they have decided to go another route, then best of luck with their event and please consider us in the future. I used to consider quote requests and interested customers "orders". Not anymore... until the deposit is...
Love this thread :) I dream about my imaginary storefront all the time...   There's an upscale shopping center near me and I'd love to open a cake studio there. Appointment only, custom cakes & cupcakes (no display case). I would love to have 1 or 2 round tables fully decked out (china, glassware, etc) for when people come for tastings. Coffee/tea service provided. All baking/decorating done in the back - maybe a few dummies on ornate stands around the shop for...
Wow, what kind of cake do they want? 50 hours seems like quite a lot! I have no idea what level you are at or how quickly you work. I'm am very much a beginner so I know certain things (ugh... flowers) take me hours whereas I'm sure others on these boards could knock the same thing out in 5 minutes. So in that case, I wouldn't charge the customer an hourly wage because that doesn't seem fair. They shouldn't pay for me to learn on the job.   That said, if it truly is...
Sounds like she wants a 1/2 sheet, not a 1/4 sheet. I have separate prices for single layer sheets and double layer filled sheets. Like scrumdiddly says - you should charge extra due to additional supplies (boards/boxes) and more decorations required. Plus 1/4 sheets are relatively easy to handle. 1/2 sheets (especially single layered ones) are very delicate and can break easily - i.e. more of a hassle, i.e. more of a charge!
I'm surprised it's so hard in Philly. Must be a city thing, I think for PA in general it is pretty easy to obtain a license and bake out of your home.   You could always move to the 'burbs. I have some crazy customers I'm willing to pawn off.... I mean share :)
I had that problem too until I started buying boards to fit the bottom of the box (I use BRP and the dozen count boxes - the 1/4 sheet boards fit perfect). The board gives the box stability and raises the height of the cupcake just enough to secure it in the inserts. It makes packaging costs slightly higher, but it's worth it to have the cupcakes be stable and look professional.   I've also recently started using cupcake wrappers in addition to the liners which...
The only scam I've run into is the hearing impaired, want 400 cupcakes picked up by courier one. I've gotten that a lot, but just delete and move on with my life.   I only accept cash or credit cards for final payment. I started selling a little less than a year ago and within the last few months tipped the point where I'm selling more to strangers and less to family/friends so I've become a bit more cautious about forms of payment and a bit more diligent about...
I do both. I know what you mean about the pickups being slightly awkward. I get antsy when I have pickups scheduled. I have 2 small kids and while my kitchen is always in good order, sometimes the rest of the house.... um, not so much :)   I usually prefer delivery mainly b/c than it's more on my schedule (i.e. I'll deliver between 10-10:15am). When it's a pickup, even if I give a 15 minute window, people are always running late and I wind up hovering around waiting...
  Ugh, this drives me batty. My (green-eyed witch of a) sister does this to me all the time. "Oh, your cakes are so pretty! When I bake, it's just to taste good. I worry about that, not how it looks".   Keep in mind, she uses box mix (not bashing it, just sayin it's not like she's using imported vanilla beans or splurging on the high quality chocolate...). And she's been super-excited ever since they came out with those frosting creations. You know - the packet of flavor...