Posts by tracyaem

I've never baked in high altitudes, so can't help with that aspect.   Just wanted to mention, you may have to change your name. There is already a Sophisticakes within a few miles of West Chester. http://www.sophisticakespa.com/   Getting licensed and inspected in the Philly burbs is fairly easy (not sure about West Chester specifically, you'll have to call their zoning board).
I had a similar situation a few weeks ago. Buttercream cake that I took out about 1/2 hour before delivery and boxed up. Got there (10 minute drive) and a small portion of the side looked exactly like yours does - it clearly melted right off. I was mortified. It was 90+ degrees that day. In hindsight, I should have either left it in the fridge the whole time or maybe even froze it for 1/2 hour or so right before delivery.   Regardless, I had delivered so it was my fault....
It's so hard dealing with friends/family. When you are first starting out they are your main customer base, but quickly you realize what a PITA they are!   I've had to re-think my strategy in the past fe months.Now, all immediate family members get a cake on their birthday (it's part of my gift) and I will take flavor/theme suggestions but ultimately I design the cake - so it's something I want to do for my portfolio! And I'm not talking huge tiered cakes, usually a...
For 1st birthdays only, I do a complimentary jumbo cupcake in the same flavor as the main cake and, depending on the theme of the big cake, toss in a decoration or two to match. Most people just see the word "complimentary" and are very happy. I haven't yet been asked for a smash cake for an older birthday or for something bigger than the jumbo cupcake. If I was, I would charge accordingly. It's easy enough to pinch some batter from the main cake and toss it in a cupcake...
I guess I don't really understand why you would change your price.   I know we all say we charge "per serving" but that doesn't translate to charging per guest. When I talk to a client I find out how many guests and then say what their options are - it's rarely, if ever, exactly their guest count. And if they are having 10 and the cake serves 12, they pay for 12 servings. If one person cancels, it doesn't change the price, they are still getting 12 servings.   I...
I would also respond with Jason's wording.   I also think some people use this as a bargaining tool. They really don't have someone lined up to make it for the cheaper price, but they're seeing if you are willing to come down at all. I had someone do that once and I politely wrote back "best of luck with your event, keep us in mind for future occassions, yadda yadda". A week later they emailed that their other baker "fell through" and could I still do it? I'm fairly...
I don't think it's a scam, but it definitely sounds like a pain in the...   If you want to tackle it, write back and ask for location and budget info and make sure she can afford her big ideas plus your PITA surcharge! If you don't, tell her you are booked that day. Personally, I think I'd be booked :)
Hi Karen, yes I am insured. I went through my homeowners provider and got coverage. I'm very small-time right now and was only asked once for proof of insurance (large coprorate event). But I think if you want to get into weddings, most vendors will require it. I would also recommend forming an LLC. It keeps your business legally separate from your personal finances. Extreme example - someone gets sick on your cake and wants to sue, they can only go after the business...
Ugh, hate the cold calls! And they always seem to come when I'm in the car with both kids screaming. I've started just letting all unrecognizable calls go to voice mail. That way I can compose myself before returning the call. And in some cases, people just fill out the website form instead which is fantastic!   And I am also guilty of phone-undercharging. Or agreeing to ridiculous demands ("1 dozen cupcakes in 6 different flavors with free delivery an hour away?...
Apologies, Gatorcake and thank you for the extremely thorough clarification.   Seeing as Bri is intending to start a cake and cupcake only business out of her soon-to-be PA home (which is exactly what I have) I assumed she would understand what I meant. For all existing or potential grocery retailers and eating establishment owners in PA reading this thread, please ignore all of my comments - particularly those relating to tax advice.    Bri - if you have other...