Posts by thecakeboutique

I actually called the Dept. of Agriculture to get my answers.
I am in NC and started to have my home inspected but then decided that I am just going to open up a shop but not because it was too hard to get licensed. When I called they saidA thermonmeter in the frigCake supplies stored in a seperate location than what your regular kitchen items are. He suggested a rolling cart or certain area of your kitchen.Every item that leaves your house must have a sticker on the box showing ingredients , weight and name of business.Soap and hand...
I use the 12x18 for my half sheet and use 4 boxes.
Ive actually tried it with the oreo pudding and didnt like it as much, dont know why but try it for yourself to see.
I always whip up some heavy cream add a box of white chocolate pudding and then crush up oreos and throw them in. It is just a little thicker the the WBH recipe.
I am getting ready to also open shop in about 5 months so I loved reading this thread. Along the kid line, I was going to add birthday parties and field trips. Our school is huge on field trips and if you charge a few bucks a kid and allow them to decorate their own cake you may not make a ton on the "event" but you have 30 prospective new customers. Thats my two cents . I still have so many unanswered questions myself, I feel like im going to need counter and baking help...
I dont know about online either but in my NC city you have to call the Dept of Agriculture. I believe NC is one of the easiest states to get home licensed in. The ag man told me basically he would come watch me make a cake, I needed ingredient labels for each box (with the wieght on them), all my cake stuff in a seperate area of the kitchen (like their own cupboard or rolling cart) and a thermometer in the frig. Then he said he was so busy I probably wouldnt see him again...
I think it is personal preference. I know most of the people I know do apply crumb coats prior to icing.
I SO feel for you!! I had this same experience with my friends kid. I leave all my cakes on my dining room table because my kids now know that "if they touch they die!!!". So I no longer have reservations about having cakes out, when my friend came over I had 2 full size sheet cakes and a 1/4 sheet, I open my dining room door to start to load them in my car and her child had dug in all 3 of them. I , like you could not speak, breathe, do anything! I was frozen , in shock....
This is so exciting!!! Congratulations!!