Posts by deuceofcakes

There's another thread on this topic from earlier today.  Take a look. 
You can't just put meringue buttercream on your mixer when it is very cold or you'll get the results you got.  You have two choices: 1) let it sit out and warm to room temp, in which case it will whip up just fine, or 2) get it close to room temp by other means.  The butter needs to be soft enough to remain emulsified, which means it can't be hard.  Think spreadability.  Really cold butter from the fridge would tear bread if you tried to spread it, right?  But once it...
I am in NY and have a lovely NY based client who called me looking for a bakery recommendation in southern Florida (Fort Lauderdale area) for a celebration she is going to there. She strongly prefers a scratch cake, possibly a 3-D cake or a 3-D topper for her adult son's birthday. She loves to bake so flavor is very important to her, but she also wants it to look good. Does anyone know someone in southern Florida they can recommend? Any advice is appreciated.
So glad your sense of humor works well too!
I know who you are Jaime... I was just testing to see if YOU know who you are. Good thing you passed that test. Phew! Too much sugar makes you loopy sometimes, ya know? (That is too funny. Sorry about that!)
Thanks for joining in Jennifer - especially since I sent people to your tutorial, which I think is one of the clearest and best there is -- especially for those who haven't made smbc before. I agree with your full bowl = fewest bubbles. 160 is very important for food safety. It doesn't take much longer and why put anyone at risk? I always use a thermometer - the sugar melts into the egg whites way before it reaches 140 degrees so any subjective estimate of temp could...
No need to put in the fridge overnight. If it looks curdled , it means the butter isn't emulsified yet. When you make the smbc you whisk your egg whites and sugar over a double boiler to 140-160 degrees (I go to 160 but some people go to 140). Then whip the egg whites/sugar combo in your mixer until they are stiff and cooled. Stiff=taking off the whip and turning it upside down and nothing moves. You could probably turn the bowl upside down and have nothing move... ...
There's a post about this on the Gateaux Inc. blog.  They figured it out and posted on how to do it.  They first had to get a magenta and then mixed with purple and ultimately blue as they were doing a magenta to blue ombre.  Fuchsia is somewhere in the middle. Here's the link: http://gateaux-inc.blogspot.com/ (It is worth looking at the wedding cake they did - so gorgeous).  The answer is that they used pink and purple candy colors mixed to achieve bright and deep...
In case anyone is hoping Santa will bring a shiny new Kitchenaid stand mixer for Christmas, Williams-Sonoma has 20% off certain Kitchenaid mixers today only, and 40% a few models.  Not sure how their prices compare to other places but I figured I'd share the news as they don't go on sale too often.  The Kitchenaid Professional Stand Mixer 6500 with 6 qt glass bowl is $389 (40% off) plus there's a $50 mail-in rebate.  The 6 qt with stainless steel bowl is $360 in a wide...
Google "vegan caramel recipes" and you should find something...