Posts by DDiva

I was given some very valuable advice when looking for a new space. Always get more square footage than you think you need. You want a space that allows for growth, otherwise you'll find yourself moving in a couple of years. Make sure you have enough space for storage. When you start buying wholesale, you'll be buying in bulk. 25 lb bags of sugar, 50 lb. containers of shortening, etc., take up a lot of space. So if you think 600 sq. ft. will work, go for 1200. ...
I absolutely agree with Debi (see, I told you that you channel me-lol). The wedding cake is dessert and should immediately follow the meal. I have started telling this to my brides with the suggestion that they inform their wedding planner or designated cake server.
Hi-I am in Greensboro and carry SI and FondX in my shop. Come see me!!Address info is on the website: www.crawfordscreations.comAlso, I ship and charge actual shipping charges.[/u]
[/quote]When I worked in retail, we were told to replace damaged items if they broke while the customer was still on the property...for example, someone buys a $200 bottle of scotch, goes outside, stumbles over the parking block and drops it. The bottle breaks, we replace it...as long as the seal at the top is still intact. The same goes for the little old lady who drops her eggs in the parking lot, new eggs for grandma. Or the sheet cake that the customer has in her...
Part of the reason that I don't say much on this forum is because Debi, you must channel my thoughts !! But let's take the WalMart reference one step further. Would they give you a refund if you spilled the milk out in their parking lot?? Yes, a waiver is the way to go. I have mine typed in huge red letters at the bottom of the order form. I also have a label with travel and cutting instructions that is put on every container...which I make them read before they walk...
As for the image, if there is a store in your area that does them, perhaps you can find an image of a keyboard (Google Images is great for this), print it out and take it to them to print on EI paper. It'll save a boat load of time-lol.
I agree with the other posters that say no discount. Your costs don't go down because of the volume, and you are having to refuse other orders. What I do (I never discount) is to offer free delivery (within my tri-city area) for large orders. Seems to work, and since my husband does most of my deliveries I have no time loss.
Another option would be to have an edible image of the keyboard made. You can then just place it in the proper place on your cake. If you want to do each individual key, you can cut out the keys from the image.
When they first hit the airwaves I watched, but found myself getting frustrated at some of the things they do.....like taking an uncovered, unboxed cake through a horse stable and then showing people eating it!!! What could be more gross???I don't really watch anymore because of the artistic thing (I also don't look at other cake artists pictures for the same reason). The cakes get in your head and the next thing you know, you're making their cake, not yours.I have...
You've received some excellent advice. Here's my two cents...When I first started my business almost 13 years ago one of my customers was a local millionaire. His wife told me that (1) I wasn't charging enough and (2) to stop including delivery in the price...unless it really was included in the price. But the words that have lingered, and that I've passed on many times were 'you have to decide who you want your customer to be'. You mentioned that you had already...