Posts by DDiva

Although no AC is an issue, there is a way.First, your cakes should be boxed and refrigerated for as long as possible.Go to your home improvement store. Buy a panel of sheet insulation (there's the blue sheet and a foil backed white sheet. Either is fine). Determine the size that you need to accommodate your cake boxes. Then have the store folks cut the panels the size that you need. You can tape the panels together with duck tape. Essentially, you'll be making a...
rpaige-I don't know where you are, but I teach 3 fondant classes. I guarantee that I can get you pass your issues. There are just some things that we have to do hands-on; and learning the ins and outs of fondant is one of them. If you're close to NC, come spend some time with me !!
While I agree that this is an unfortunate situation, it also presents a 'teaching' moment. I teach a business class for folks who want to sell desserts. We train our customers how to treat us. Please remember this...it's really important. This would have never happened had certain things been in place"1. a contract (an order of that size demanded something in writing that spelled out your terms and their request).2. payment in advance....not a deposit, but full...
Great!! Just wanted you to know that we were here. I hoope you'll come visit our decorating supply shop and maybe take classes. We've also just started a Cake Club in the Triad area. Our first meeting is this Sunday at the Greensboro Women's Club 223 North Edgeworth Street. The time is 2-5. Hope you can join us!!
Crawford's Creations in Greensboro also carries 3 lb. containers of hi ratio shortening....and we ship!!
You'll never find a complete chart of ingredient weights because so much of what you use is unique to you. What I did, and what I teach in my class, is to create your own chart. Once you know the weight of an item, for example--one cup of flour weighs 4 ounces, then break that down from 1/4 through one cup. Do that for all ingredients that you use on a regular basis. I keep my chart in a sheet protector and it's posted on a bulletin board in my kitchen. That way when I...
PlatinumLady, if you PM me I'll be happy to send the one I use. It was shared with me years ago by another teacher and I've amended several times over the years. Of course, one of the recent additions was to "Please turn off your cellphone during class". Things about strong perfume, etc. You think these are things you shouldn't have to say, but you do. I had a student who was going to leave the class because one of the other students' perfume was very heavy. If you...
I teach as well, and I cannot imagine not correcting this situation immediately. I would call her before your next class and explain that although her information is interesting, that it is important that you stay in control of the class time and information given. The other students are there to learn the Wilton Method and given the time constraints of the class, it is important to stay on task. That you will be very appreciative if she would confine her questions and...
I don't know where you're located, but I carry it my shop. We also ship.If you'd like more info, just PM me!!
Wow--that is serious micro managing!!My two cents---a resounding (however nicely said) NO!!Would they ask the caterer to send progress pictures of the meal as it's being prepared, or if a special outfit is being made--progress pictures of the alterations as they're being done? I think not.Besides, do you REALLY have time for that? Are you being paid for the extra time, equipment (camera, etc.)?I teach a business class for cake folk and one of the things I try to impress...