Posts by DDiva

WOW!! I think this beats the one I got a few years back that was inviting 100 people to her birthday party and wanted to know if she could use her food stamps card to pay for the cake...what?
February will be 14 years in business. Full payment is due at the time the order is placed. Exceptions: orders over $300 and then the balance is due three weeks before the event date. No refunds if order is cancelled within one week of the event. All orders are subject to 50% non refundable deposit. As another poster wrote: your customer has to have something invested. This is business. There have to be rules. Without them there is chaos. If you order a computer...
Scheduling is key, as is pricing. As Maria said, it's better to do one cake for $200, than 2-3. My business will be 14 years old in February, and it is my full time job. I still love it because I do schedule down time. And when an easy week presents itself, I go with it. This week is an example. I've been in the shop less than 5 hours all week. My husband held down the fort so I could get some rest. If you don't get away from it, you WILL burn out. Take care of...
I sell and use the Master airbrush in my shop!! It's great.Duff's airbrush is a generic from China. It is the same airbrush system sold by Geraldine Randlesome's Creative Cutters company. It's a good brush for beginners, and you got a really good price!!Airmaster by KopyKake is still probably the industry favorite, and it is really reliable. Mine survived a tornado last year and it was over 8 years old then-lol!! It's still going strong.I am currently a fan of Grex...
So sorry that you had this happen, but see it as a learning experience. Cars get hot, even when it's cold outside...especially on sunny days. I've taken a four tier stacked, fully decorated cake as far as New Orleans which is 13 hours from where we are in NC. Cake arrived fine, but here's why:we made a 'refrigerator' from sheet insulation purchased at our home improvement store. They'll even cut it for you. Decide the size you want and have them cut six pieces. We...
The dosing syringe works on fondant covered cakes as well as buttercream. I don't get many air bubbles, but they do occur occasionally. Once I remove the air bubble I fill the syringe with a little thinned piping gel and shoot it into the same hole. I smooth the area with my smoother, moving the piping gel around a little. It works great!! As for syringes of all description, try eBay. It's almost impossible to get them from a pharmacy without havng to buy a gazillion...
Wow!! Am I the only person asking this question? This is someone you call 'friend'? I have customers that refer folks to me all the time that would never presume as much as your 'friend' has. I forget who said this here on CC, but I quote it often to my Business class students, "we train our customers how to treat us". No truer words were ever spoken. And let's take it one step further....we train people how to treat us. You will never succeed at this business if...
I don't think they do. But I know we do at our shop (we also ship). But see if you can find a shop in your area that has the system. That's going to be a lot faster turn around for you. Like I said, we use ours a lot....for our own cakes as well as other decorators' needs.
I, too, agree with Debbie and Tiggy!! I have a shop and we print edible images for area decorators, as well as for use on customers cakes. If you're only going to use the edible image printer occasionally, it's not worth the expense. We're averaging about 6-10 a week. I absolutely LOVE the image sheets from Icing Images!! In addition making great images, the sheets are easyto handle.I have a Cricut and use Icing Image sheets on it all the time. I don't even take the...
The easiest way:Put some vodka in a mister bottle. Place the tiara on parchment or paper towel. Mist the tiara and then immediately sprinkle with the disco dust. The vodka will make the dust adhere. Because vodka evaporates quickly the tiara won't be wet or sticky. You'll also be able to save the extra dust that fell on the parchment!! HTH