Posts by DDiva

Well said Rae!!
Everything everyone else said plus...I have a label titled 'Travelling with your custom cake' that goes on every cake box. I insist that they read it in my presence, and then we head to the car. I've even refused to hand off a cake when the person picking up showed up in a tiny sports car after insuring me they would be in an SUV. No way the full sheet size, multi tiered cake was going to fit! They ended up paying for delivery, which was offered in the beginning, and I...
Her expectations were completely out of line with her budget. She got a deal at $80 for that cake. Last minute order with those decorations...I would have charged no less than $100. I don't know what your conversation with her was like but if you gave her an idea of what she would get for her last minute order and budget, then her expectations are her issue, not yours. I generally tell my customers what the cake type options are: ex. Tier(s), 2D, 3D and then the prices. I...
If you are anywhere near classes take as many as you can. Having someone guide you through the early stages will be invaluable. If you have a good teacher you'll learn to do things correctly, which will be invaluable later.
Ideally, you shouldn't have to use anything to knead and roll out fondant. Atmospheric conditions play a large role in the prep and use of fondant. Using too much powdered sugar can cause the fondant to dry. A very light coating of shortening on your mat or table should suffice. The brand can be a factor as well. Satin Ice changed their formula a couple of years ago and it's now too soft to use in this area. I'm in NC where we've been enjoying almost 70° temperatures....
Congratulations! I don't know where you are but I teach a Wedding Class that covers everything from the questions to ask your client, contracts, setting up....everything! I'm in Greensboro NC. My website is Crawford's Creations. I am in the process of offering this class in PDF format and in a booklet. If this is something you're interested in, just let me know. I've taken 14 years in this business and put it all in one place! I promise it will take the fear out of the...
Why are you doing samples for a cupcake order? Most of us only do samples for wedding cake folks or possibly big ticket items. Can you really afford to make the 'samples' for less than the actual order? Is this a confirmed order that has been prepaid? Is this a repeat customer who already knows your product? If so, why do they need samples?If the potential client can see examples of your work via a website or photo album, that should be enough info for her to know if...
Why are you doing samples for a cupcake order? Most of us only do samples for wedding cake folks or possibly big ticket items. Can you really afford to make the 'samples' for less than the actual order? Is this a confirmed order that has been prepaid? Is this a repeat customer who already knows your product? If so, why do they need samples?If the potential client can see examples of your work via a website or photo album, that should be enough info for her to know if...
Wow--these topics do get prickly, don't they .Here's my take--you have a policy in place. Why even consider altering it? If you don't follow your policies, why should anyone else? I think you handled it just fine. No need for second guessing.
Crawford's Creations in Greensboro offers 12 classes ranging from a Beginner decorating class, business classes and several classes in fondant and gumpaste techniques. Check out the website or the full listing and more information!