Posts by Karolina-Cake-Designer

... and £1 per slice is still cheap price, but people don't calculate it like that, they only see the final cost. and secretly (as if I didn't know they do) roll their eyes... hah hah. I had a few good customers that didn't mind paying me my full price, plus gave me an extra for being extra happy! I wish I had those all the time.
I think the worst and biggest obstacle in making my business grow is the fact I don't drive a car. If I did, I could go to town and place some posters around there, but I don't, and a few people that promised me to do so had let me down. I can not rely on anyone, basically, so what I don't do, isn't done. Except my website which is done by an old friend of mine. I will have a good think about all your suggestions, but I have a poorly boy here right now. It's always...
Hiya, lovely people, wau thank you, I only just seen your replies to this! I really appreciate this!   I will try all your advice. I too find Facebook is a powerful marketing tool, you can see me there as Karolina Cake Designer. What I find difficult now with my level of experience and prices around £50/cake - people rather go and make their cakes by themselves. Never the same, of course, because I AM AN ARTIST but it's their choice and I totally respect that....
Hi, I am just wondering the same, and found this picture.... surely it's made of chocolate, but quite FLAT but I like it!    
thank you, I appreciate your advice! I tried to use extra thick aluminium foil which I greased, and common latex gloves... ahahaaaa my hands got stuck to everything if you saw what I did, and the nerves and struggle, you would have a good laugh. what do you mean by a "heating box"? yes I know common granulated sugar looks slightly yellowish or even caramelish colour, but it was my first experience and I learnt from it a lot, I like poured glass a lot. I think it has a...
Hello, I am a total beginner with sugar glass, but I am very excited about it because I used to work as a REAL glass designer. My dream is to transform my skills into edible art.Would you let me know what are your experience with e.g. colouring these, how to shape them? I do not have a fire gun, nore any other things like molds, just usual basic kitchen tools. I would like to try and avoid using isomalt as it's "not so good" for digestion. Thank you for your help!!! I will...
I will try to post this here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFgpDFBLYq8it's my cakes slide show... hope you have a good Sunday.
thank you debidehm I know, I have seen some cakes made home sold as cheap as £15, well to make a cake, pay all the bills costs about £20 so I don't know how they do it? I only charge for about half of the time I spend working, and I still put the minimum wages down for myself. often not even that (if I do cakes for friends). it is frustrating! I heard many people tell me I would do much better if I lived in a big city, but I am not sure that's what I want for my kids, so...
Hi guys, I am just wondering, I am making cakes from home, living in Southwest of UK, and I usually got 1 order per month. I charged around £50/cake lately, and they were all big cakes, feeding about the same amount of people (50), so £1/portion. I work so hard and it took me about a week to get the designs ready for the customers. I am very polite and hardworking person.I just wonder, seeing all these cakes here... and reading some of the forum posts... do I live at the...
Oh yes, I do check carefully about marzipan. I warn people about marshmallows as well, and their unsuitability for vegetarians, surprisingly not everyone is aware of their gelatine content. But you're right - marzipan is so much better to work with, polishes nicely, and when making e.g. flowers, holds the shape very well, plus dries quickly and stays very firm (stone-hard!). And it picks up the gel colours with much more saturation. The only trouble with it is - the cost!...