Posts by elisaber

I did of course mean 2 parts icing sugar
I've had a few tins of sweetened condensed milk sitting on my shelf for ages, not really knowing what to do with them other than making caramel sauce. Then I thought - what would it be like to use it in buttercream? So I whipped up a batch, 1 part butter 1 part icing sugar, and then used the scm instead of milk/water in it. And it turned out so deliciously creamy and tasty! It sort of added the sliiiightest touch of caramel flavor to the buttercream, and the consistency...
I think adding ganache, or any icing applied, will cover pretty much all the detail of the cake. I myself have always wonderend how you're supposed to use such cake molds - to me it seems they will only show the detail if not covered with anything. Perhaps it's meant to be covered with fondant and the detail re-created on that? Most cakes made in Wilton shaped/character pans will also lose their details/definition if not enhanced by the buttercream or fondant put on it.
The thinner the better, imo. At least if you're going for the realistic look.
I just came across this (to me, at least) new tool for cake pop making: http://www.thecakedecoratingcompany.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=531&products_id=5024Watch the video below...looks kinda cool! But not exactly cheap. So what do you guys think - worth the money to not have to roll by hand, or just another product you'd probably just use once or twice?
My dream is to one day be able to take the 6 weeks Designer Cakes Certificate Programme at the Bonnie Gordon College of confectionary arts in Toronto. But does anyone know if there are similar, GOOD programs somewhere in Europe? I think I read about one in France and one in England at some time, but I've forgotten their names now. Has anyone done this in Europe, and would be able to recommend their school to me? I'm not looking for year-round-full-time schooling, but...
I normally use drums 2" larger than my cake (my cakes are mostly 10" 95% of the time) - simply because I am having a hard time finding cake boxes larger than 12". But ideally I would have liked to go up about an inch, because I sometimes want to decorate more around the base of the cake. Never gone up 4", though.
They have the ones you want at globalsugararts also: http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20833&name=People%20Mold%20Family%20Set%20of%204%20PME
You could also use fondant/gumpaste - just use an extruder or roll out two long, very thin "sausages" - line them up, then twist from each side in oposite directions. The tighter you twist the tighter and more "rope like" your rope will be in the end Then just place the rope around the emblem.
Yes, I saw that just after I'd posted Thanks for the tip, I'll try it!