Posts by elisaber

You could always make a crusting cream cheese frosting to coat the cake with - I do that all the time, and the edges come out as nice and crisp as with crusting buttercream under the fondant.
In my country you make your own birthday cake - period That's the way it's always been - you invite people over for a birthday party, you bake a cake. So this must be a cultural thing, if that's frowned upon in some places!
  It's rare I see references to my country here, so forgive me for nitpicking: But kransekake is not a wedding cake - it would be made for things like christenings and other large celebrations - but I've never ever heard of anyone who's used kransekake as a wedding cake. FYI :-)
In my experience fondant does not work well with silicone molds - I always use gumpaste for that. Also, if the mold used is intricate or in any way "difficult", I pop the filled mold in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before removing the gumpaste. It may make the gumpaste a bit sticky once it reaches room temperature again, but just leave it on the counter for a bit and it will dry out nicely.  
There are plenty of tutorials, both here and on youtube, that will show you how to get the super smooth finish to your cakes.   But regarding your question about crumb coating: What you do is apply a thin layer of frosting all over your cake first - this is just to trap the crumbs so they don't interfere with your next layer or your fondant. Refridgerate your cake for a while, then go back and apply more icing - this is the layer where you have to take care to get...
  For a second there I thought that sounds mighty interesting - I read "my hubby TIES me up mid session"... No wonder you love baking!
I always wondered - does the ratio have to go by weight? Meaning I have to weigh out the cream too? I'd normally measure chocolate by grams and cream by mililiters...
I used quite a dense chocolate cake for mine, baked in 10" square tins. Cut squares to size from that, and built and carved the ramp. I had no need for any doweling. I put the fondant on in panels, I would definitely recommend you do too.   Best of luck with it - do post a photo of your result! :-)
Here's the one I made, just to give you an idea (you'll probably be able to make one without that huge air bubble in front, unlike me )  
How about making a skateboard ramp cake instead? Then you could put a little skateboard on top of that, perhaps even with the rider on it. There are quite a few ramp cakes on CC, I have one in my gallery and it wasn't hell to make. Never tried making the actual skateboard, but I know many have - google it and I'm sure you'll get some idea.