Posts by madcobbler

I love the name you have but I would change my business name as well if in the same situationĀ since there's another business in such close proximity. How about Sweet Creations or Splendid Confections.
How about putting a funny name on the pill bottle such as Perky Pecker Pills and have some littleĀ  candy blue pills next to the pill bottle.
Inspiration can come from anywhere. I have been inspired by greeting cards, a party invitation or napkin, wall art, coloring books, an evening gown, a vase of flowers, my garden, etc. I found it helpful to take a floral arrangement class in addition to cake decorating classes. I look at how colors are used together whether it's on a business sign, clothing, a bed spread or wherever and use those as my color pallet for my cakes.
I used to have problems with my caramel being gritty as well. I switched to a superfine sugar (I use C&H Baker's sugar). I also make sure the sugar is thoroughly dissolvedĀ  in the water on low heat before bringing it to a boil on high heat. I also don't stir the sugar syrup mixture once it comes to a boil. I brush down the sides of the pot with water using a silicone pastry brush so there's no brush bristles in mixture. I watch it like a hawk until the mixture is a lovely...
I personally would pass on the cake. You'll need the 2 days before to pack not only for yourself but your 3 kids as well. No need tiring or stressing yourself out before the camping trip.
I asked my 12 year old daughter what kind of flowers girls her age would want on a cake and she said "hippie style" daisies and fun flower roses (in the 2003 wilton yearbook and online). Also hot pink or bubble gum pink would be preferable over other shades of pink such as mauve. Using bright accent colors such as lime green are considered "cool".
Never reward bad behavior. I would have nothing further to do with this lady. I too would like to write a cookbook someday and don't share my dessert recipes. You may find that a few years down the line you miss having a bakery and choose to reopen one.
What I like about scratch baking over mixes is that I have complete control over all the ingredients. I can alter the recipe to make it gluten free or sugar free. I also like that scratch cakes don't have preservatives or artificial ingredients. Scratch cake recipes made with vegetable oil are moister in my opinion than those made with butter. It took me many years to find a really good WASC and a basic butter cake recipe that had both a nice texture and flavor. I used...
Sticky toffee with salted caramel buttercream, chocolate chai tea latte, pink champagne, pina colada, coconut key lime, dreamy irish cream(chocolate, espresso, & irish cream), lemon blueberry.
I think freezing cupcake samples would be fine. It's a good way to use up leftover batter from previous orders. I always have the 5 basic flavors (lemon, carrot, chocolate, butter, and white) that most clientele seem to order in my freezer in 4" rounds. I offer 2 for free. If they want to sample specialty flavors such as pink champagne or pina colada for example then they can order a 6" cake for $20. Not all bakers waive the tasting fee even if they book the order.