Posts by SandyES00

My friend ordered a giant cupcake and 18 regular sized cupcakes from me.  She said that she didn't want a discount, but I insisted.  I'm not sure if she saw my prices online, so I'm not sure if she'll still be shocked by the price.  I'm making a giant cupcake (3 layers of chocolate cake) with a fondant wrapper and hand sculpted gum paste Olivia the Pig on top.  The cupcakes are just 9 chocolate ( I added on some chocolate bows, no big deal) and 9 vanilla.  For the...
Just wondering if people had any recommendations on these two items.  My husband got me the Fat Daddio's one, but I don't know much about it.  Any help would be great.
Hey, welcome.  Here are some responses to your questions.   I have never made marshmallow fondant though, can someone give me tips/pointers for it? I use this recipe http://cakecentral.com/a/marshmallow-fondant-darla Depending on the size of the cakes you are trying to make, you may have to make a couple recipes of this one.   Do I need to wear gloves so the gel dye doesn't dye my hands and nails? You don't need to wear gloves, but it will dye your hands....
I think that you were definitely reasonably priced.  For all of that work, you were charging less than two dollars a serving.  I think you could have even gone higher because of the 3 inch cake layers.  People have budgets of what they want to spend in their head, which is fine, but things cost what they cost.  So if they want to stick to their budget, they just can't get your cake.  It's not fair for them to think that you are overpriced and not that you just don't fit...
Going to get one of these, but was just curious how people felt about them, and if anyone had both and thought one was better than the other.  Can't wait because I think it will be make covering the cake with fondant a million times easier.
I have had a request from a potential customer for a single layer sheet cake or cakes to feed 50 to 75 people and shaped like beer mugs with foam on top.  Not too difficult.  Since it's so simple and not difficult decorations, I was wondering what people charge.  I know people charge less for sheet cake and this particular customer mentioned that she was even thinking of going to an "upscale grocery store" instead (not sure what that means) because she wanted something...
I have a home based bakery business, and I have had my first request for a tasting.  I know that most people generally offer a tasting for a fee that is then applied to the cake if they place an order.  I also know a lot of people don't even do this for orders of less than 100 servings.  The person that asked me for a tasting wants a cake for her son's 4th birthday party.  She sent a pic of what she wanted, and it's an fondant, angry birds cake with either a 4" round on...
Oh and by the way, he wants it Saturday and just contacted me tonight.  I know most wouldn't have even agreed to do it.
Do you think that $200 for a two tiered cake (6" and 8") with black and purple accents and custom cake topper and lettering and rhinestone banding is too much?  So not sure anymore of what things should cost.
Well, thanks for the responses.  They didn't end up ordering anyway, so oh well