Posts by AmbitiousBeginner

I would also like to know how it turns out.  I made a s'more cake but since it was also a sand castle, the graham cracker crumbs were the sand.  I liked having the crunch, but I would like to know how softened crackers turn out.  The addition of the ganache sounds delicious.  I just used chocolate bc.
CA just recently passed a cottage food law allowing you to bake and sell cakes out of your home.   link:     http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/pages/fdbcottagefood.aspx 
I also live in Suffolk, and it is definitely illegal to sell from home.  I made some calls and searched online when I was wondering the same thing and custom cakes are specifically mentioned as an example of what is not allowed.  Check out the link with relevant info:  http://www.agriculture.ny.gov/FS/consumer/processor.htmlThis is from that site: "This exemption does not allow for home processors to make specialty items, such as birthday cakes, per order. Furthermore, it...
Just wanted to repost to give more people a chance to see original post.  Thanks for looking.
I thought some people on here might be interested since I've read a few posts where people ask about how to practice their baking/decorating skills without getting people used to free cakes (or without gaining 40 pounds!)  I did a web search to see if I could donate cakes and found:   birthdaywishes.org   It's a nonprofit that organizes birthday parties for kids living in homeless shelters and they rely on donations.  And of course one of the items that they always need...
I only decorate as a hobby for  my kids' birthdays and holidays, so I can't comment on the business side.  But I wanted to add that I do agree with the comments that custom cake businesses are not competing with Walmart for business.  The reason I started decorating cakes is because I thought that my kids would love a sculpted to cake, but I could never bring myself to spend hundreds of  dollars on cake, so the solution was to do it myself.  A few months after I started...
THANK YOU!  I told my husband that it might not be possible because I don't have access to all the chemicals/preservatives!  I don't know how that makes it taste better?!   I already don't sift the sugar.  Maybe not mixing as much will help.  and maybe Crisco   It might be better/easier to just by it when making a cake for him   Thanks!
This may seem like an odd question, but after trying all the different frostings/icings/buttercreams/ganaches I've made my husband still insists that the store bought icing is his favorite (which I don't understand!)  I think the homemade stuff (any kind) tastes better than the canned stuff, but he doesn't agree.  He wants me to "just make regular icing, like the kind from the store".  My question to all of you is:  What type of icing is it? Do I need to use Crisco instead...
I've also wondered about this issue.  I only make cakes for family, mostly my kids. So when I try something new, which is basically every cake, I don't have to worry too much because if it just doesn't work I know my kids will still be excited about the cake.  The first time I made a cake for a friend I was so stressed because I wanted it to be perfect (it's the Lion King cake in my gallery) Even though it was very simple, I was extra critical and scrapped off all the...
I didn't know that pasting it in the reply box would mean that it would appear in the Newest cake section.  How embarrassing!  I think I may have to take it down in a day.