Posts by Amberwaves

The adhesive I used was a glue from a gun that is used for attaching plastics and fabrics. Yes, it had a smell, but not real strong, that is why I thought it would be O.K.It is my fault for being so focused on getting everything to where it wouldn't shift on the airplane that I overlooked what I always preach to my customers--keep the cake away from any smells!Lesson learned. It was only the bottom half of the 12" tier that tasted bad, but I refunded for the whole tier...
Truth be told, it was my last catering job. I am just not cut out to deal with all the drama I guess. The family dynamics were so convoluted that I just stayed in the kitchen unless I was dealing directly with the food.I am unsure of what to say to my customer because there are obvious issues between her and her mother and I don't want to bad mouth her. She is a regular customer, I have never seen this side before because the mother lives out of town and was only here for...
My customer ordered a 1/2 sheet graduation themed cake, brownies and decorated cookies for this weekend.My cookies are not cheap, but she really wanted something nice for her son's party, so I used the impression kit you can buy for sports and made fondant covered football and soccer ball cookies as well as highly detailed, large glace iced cookies with a hand holding a scroll and wrote the graduates name and year on them.I was helping with the hot food about an hour into...
The wedding cake I made last weekend had to travel by vehicle for quite a ways, so I used an adhesive that was a lot stronger than I would normally use to adhere the foam core to a piece of plywood. Each tier was sitting on 2 cardboard rounds that were taped together.The cake arrived in perfect shape and I thought everything was great. My bride called me the next day and said the bottom tier (12") had an off taste to it at the reception. She described it as a solvent type...
So what do you do when you deliver the cake and there are other cakes/cupcakes there anyway? This just happened to me last weekend with a baby shower.I put my cake on the display table and over on the other table there was a cupcake tower. The hostess saw me look at them and said Sorry--we didn't know exactly how many people were coming so we made cupcakes...At that point what kind of solution is there? Take your cake and run? The party was starting in 1/2 hour and the...
Thank you! I think that is the place I had heard about before with everything stacked all over in the store. Thank you!
I am visiting Seattle (Pike Place Market area) in June and was wondering if anyone on here can tell me if there are any really good cake supply stores near there?I will have my husband and daughter with me, so would love to be able to just go and shop without having to search an unfamiliar area looking for addresses I have found online. Anybody have a favorite store where I can stock up and see some new stuff? I live in an area without any cake supplies or even hobby or...
I just used straight gumpaste and shaped the links individually. As I made each one I hooked it onto the next one. Good gumpaste dries really fast, so as I was going along making the chain I would occasionally move each ring to make sure they were not sticking together. It helps to have a picture of a real purse in front of you for reference.After the chain is completely dry you can paint it with gold luster dust thinned with vodka so the chain looks like real metal....
You can package the cookies in a cellophane cookie bag and then just fold the top over and staple the card to that. Or I have also packaged regular cookies (choc chip, etc) stacked 6 in a bag and then fold the top over and staple the card to it.If you are going to wrap the cookie in saran wrap instead of a bag you can print in a circle on the cardstock and cut that out and glue it to the back so it doesn't cover the cookie up.One way that I got around having to wrap each...
Agreed--that's why they get defensive and leave in a huff. Well, that and after a couple of other local bakers come along and mention that they are in the same area, they realize that they are no longer invisible