Posts by Amberwaves

I posted in June about my state's CFL going into effect and I wondered if my small retail cake/bakery would be affected at all.I saw the effect immediately. Since there are no inspections required, everyone and their brother is now selling cakes from their homes. Every garage sale has cupcakes and cookies for sale.So as of August 31st I will officially be out of the retail storefront bakery business and will be joining the CFL. Thank you God my landlords understood and...
I own a retail storefront and no, the customer is NOT always right. Some people conduct their lives in such a way to make everyone around them miserable and this lady sounds like one of them.Just the fact that she was willing to trust a small child with a 20 dollar bill and then expect him to get correct change and then bring everything back along with the cookies tells me she's not the brightest crayon in the box.I would respond calmly and respectfully on whatever forum...
My customer is also a good friend and just lost his 45 year old wife suddenly from a massive heart attack. He is asking for a tribute cake for her and has left all design up to me other than he wants a few of her interests represented on the cake (music, knitting, crafting, reading) and sugar roses. The cake needs to serve 50 people.My dilemma--how to accomplish this in good taste without making a cluttered mess or something in bad taste? What is appropriate on a cake at a...
$250.?? Geez what a rip off artist. Oh my word no wonder she wasn't answering the phone when she could see it was the customer calling. She should be refunding more than $125.00 though. These are the stories you see on Cake Wrecks!
I feel for you. I wrote a post last week about this very thing. For the first time in the 4 years I have had my business open I am starting to get people not ordering my cakes because of the cost. I attribute some of this to my state's Cottage Food Law going into effect last month, but along with that there are definitely more people worried about prices now than I've ever had before.Add to that the local grocery store churning out cakes for 1/4 the price of mine and it...
I just went on Etsy to look something up and found literally HUNDREDS of copyrighted items being sold there. From Spiderman to Bubble Guppies to Elmo, Mickey Mouse and Hello Kitty, they are all there for sale in fondant, gumpaste, royal icing, on cookies, T shirts, invitations, etc.And from looking at people's feedback and sales numbers, most of them are doing quite the brisk business selling these copyrighted items. So can someone remind me again--why am I turning down...
My state's new CFL income limit is $25,000 and there are no inspections of the home required. The labeling requirement reads that wherever items are displayed for sale there must be a plaque or signage stating that the items were not required to be inspected.The only limit on what can be produced are perishable fillings, but considering that the wedding cake for 150 people that was just supplied by an illegal baker (that will magically turn legal on the 25th) was iced with...
Update from original poster---The newest caker in town decided to jump the gun on the 25th and accepted a wedding cake order made in her home kitchen for last weekend.3 tier Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and real flowers for 150 people PLUS a 2 tiered Chocolate groom's cake with Ganache Icing. The bride called me first and turned down my $6.00/serving price. She then called the only other legal baker in town and turned down her $5.00/serving price.I don't know...
I think I may have caught a break. I went at lunch and talked with my lease holders at the corporate office. When I explained the situation she said she will have to talk with her manager to make a decision, but they may be able to change my lease to a month-to-month basis. At least that way if things are going really bad I won't have months and months of lease I am committed to paying.My husband had a good suggestion (as did some other posters)--he said to just...
Sometimes brides just don't know any better. You could suggest that the topper be displayed next to the cake and she may go for that idea once she realizes that the topper will dwarf the top tier.