Posts by GlykaBakeShop

Refused to give up and since I had the time, I kept at it!  The cornstarch did nothing. And though I didn't necessarily fix that broken ABC, I managed to use it to my advantage. I started a cream cheese buttercream beating some cream cheese and butter and once smooth I incorporated some of that ABC that wouldn't stiffen. It became a curdled mess!! But I did not despair, lol, just added some more butter and kept beating, for upwards of 15 minutes and it turned into a...
I added more powdered sugar than I would like to admit!! And still, it is not as firm as it should be. So frustrating!  Not nearly my first time making buttercream so I cannot understand it ... I know I added more mango than called for, but considering how much ps I have added, I would think it should have firmed up already. Added some cornstarch a little while ago as I just read that is what some do. I will see how it looks in the morning and if it's not fixed by then,...
Anyone? I have added quite a bit of powdered sugar now and when in the fridge it firms up, but outside the fridge it softens quite a bit and doesn't hold a shape well at all (though it does crust). 
For the past 9 years I have almost always used meringue buttercream for any cakes and cupcakes I've made. Today I decided to go with an American buttercream -- specifically a Mango Buttercream for some coconut cupcakes I am making tomorrow. It's an order for 300 cupcakes and I am making three different flavors, so I decided to get a head-start today.  I used 2 1/2 sticks of butter to 5 cups powdered sugar and 3/4 cup pureed mango and a little vanilla. Well, I thought...
I will admit I used Sorrento! But it was full fat. And like I said, the filling is nice and thick but has a slight graininess, if you will. I guess I should spend the extra $$ and buy the good stuff from the local Italian delis (there are so many in my area) :)
I've made ricotta filling for cakes a couple times before and went ahead and tried my hand at it again today. I used this recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/my-country-my-kitchen/sicilian-cassata-ricotta-cake-recipe/index.html  and the filling turned out nice and thick and it tastes great, BUT I could not get rid of that "grainy" texture that ricotta cheese has. I beat the ricotta for 15 minutes but it still turned out grainy. And this is what's happened every...
Here is how it finally turned out:        
Thank you for the tips on local kitchens that can be used. I never even thought one could go that route! I just checked the Culinary Incubator site for shared commercial kitchens and found more than one very close to home, but have not spoken to them yet about pricing. I will also check the local churches, schools etc.   
Thank you for your responses. Not a happy camper that this can't be done entirely from home here in NYC, but will take the necessary steps to do everything the correct way as the personal liability issue is very disconcerting. Definitely not worth the risk!  And thank you for that Culinary Incubator link--temporary rental is a great idea as I am just starting out and by no means have any regular business scheduled. 
Any advice?