Posts by plcharles

Hello everyone, I've been spending a good amount of time perusing a lot of cake sites. Lots of wonderful artwork out there by some very talented individuals. It made me start thinking about cakes with themes like Disney, Spiderman, Hello Kitty etc...is it considered infringement when we duplicate some known character without getting permission or paying some kind of royalty? And if we are supposed to get permission, how would you even start to do that? Thanks for you...
What an excellent idea! Thank you...makes good sense to do a ribbon of the dragees...I've found it to be quite a pain in getting the right uniformity when applying them by sprinkling/pressing them on the cake. :)
Thank you for sharing!
I have to agree with the others, I think you have talent so just keep working it. Try different things, different techniques. When I've had questions about how to do something, I typically reach out to others or scan YouTube...you'd be suprised what all you can find there. Also I've attended cake conventions when I can or your local cake organization mini classes or such...But just keep doing what your doing because it looks like you're on the right path!   Happy...
Some people don't understand they are paying for our skill and experience. Just like a hair stylist or plumber...I had a groom's mom come to my shop and say the Bride's friend was taking a Wilton cake decorating class and would make the wedding cake for them...the mom said..."Definitely not at my son's wedding" I think the shows make it look so easy...but it's a skill that is build through time!
Yes I've had the "can you make the frosting not too sweet" question quite a bit...but one customer asked me if I would match the grocery store prices...Ummmm NO...I usually tell them if pricing is driving their decision then they should probably go ahead with the  grocery store cake. Hahaha I just laugh thinking about that one. Guess they have to ask...
I was actually taken aback by some of the behavior being presented here. Rudeness is definitely not necessary. How wonderful would it be if everyone took a stance of encouragement and lent a hand in coaching others who obviously wouldn't be asking the question if they knew the answer or wouldn't be posting questions in the wrong place if they understood the process. All of us seasoned cake makers could make a real difference to someone.
Hi there, I got my food printer a number of years back so others might have more current information but for what it's worth...I bought my printer from PhotoFrost and get my icing sheets from Icing Magic. Easy and friendly to do business with. ne note I'd make is make sure after you use your printer that you clean it so you don't get build up on the printer head. I have a Canon printer and have had to replace the printer head twice which is a little pricey. Maybe the...
What an awesome looking treasure chest!
I was looking for some input on delivery charges. I find myself almost giving my cakes away because I don't have a good delivery strategy. I delivered a cake yesterday an hour and a half away (3 hours total drive time) plus I had to wait an hour because the hall didn't have the tables set up yet. I basically charged $20 for delivery in the price of my cake but on the way home I started thinking that only covered my gas to get there and not the 4 hours I spent waiting and...