Posts by alimonkey

What kind of buttercream are you using? Is it just too soft from the heat or is it thin consistency from too much liquid? I'd put the whole thing in the fridge to let the icing set up, and chill a small amount that you can use to patch your leak. Scraping and redoing sounds horrible, but then again if your curd is really too thin, it may be best to cut your losses and redo tonight rather than having a disaster on your hands tomorrow when it may be too late. Did you let...
I'm assuming you're looking for a good *white* cake recipe?I wish you the best of luck, because I just gave up. I couldn't find one that was up to my standards. I have not yet had anyone ask for a white cake that I couldn't talk into yellow just by telling them it's the same flavor, but much better cake.Works for me!
It seems like it would be pretty easy to make the rectangle shape out of thickly rolled gumpaste. I would either use gumpaste for the monogram, or just pipe it on.
First make a small loop at the end of the wire (so it looks like a large needle eye), then dip it in sugar glue (a mixture of fondant or gum paste with a tiny bit of water) or you can use egg white as a glue.If the flowers are made just of fondant, they will need to dry a lot longer than overnight for the wire to not just pull right out. It will need to be completely dry all the way through. For faster and harder drying, add some gumtex powder to it.
For deep colors, you really need to start with colored gumpaste. Petal dust will give you lightly colored edges, even all-over color on the easy to get to places, but the color won't be even, and you won't get all the way down into the center. Anything liquid-based will run the risk of dissolving your flowers.
I'm so disappointed I won't be able to make it to the hearing. After living in Austin for 7 years, I'm relocating to Houston this week. My daughter starts her new school on Monday, and in the wake of major life changes, I can't leave her just yet.On a positive note, the house I grew up in and that my dad still lives in is in John Zerwas' district. I'll be writing a letter on my dad's behalf, and I'll have him make a phone call.Give 'em hell, ya'll!!!
I use Martha Stewart's recipe from here:http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/italian-meringue-buttercreamI have my butter at cool room temperature rather than chilled. If you let your meringue cool completely before adding the butter, it won't melt anyway, and I've had meringue fly across the counter from a chunk of cold butter moving too fast. I put a fan on it in the summer or when I'm making a double batch, partly from impatience and partly because I've heard that an...
Kim - they both have the same ingredients, it's just the method that's different. In SMBC, you cook the egg whites and sugar on a double boiler to a certain temp (I think around 158-160, but not sure) then whip in the mixer until cool, then add the butter.In IMBC, you cook the sugar on the stove with a little water (to 238-240), whip the egg whites in the mixer, then slowly add the sugar to the eggs, whip until cool, then add butter.IMBC is a bit more stable at warmer...
I'm no expert with SMBC per se, but I use IMBC all the time. You should always let it come to room temp before mixing. the MBC's are a bit different from your standard decorator's buttercream because they have a lot less solids. DBC is mostly powdered sugar - easy for the coloring to grab onto. A MBC is almost all butter, with a relatively small amount of sugar and egg whites suspended in the fat. Butter and liquid (even gel coloring) don't really like to mix at all, even...
There is a big difference in baking due to the alkaline properties of DP cocoa, but in recipes where no baking is called for you can use them interchangeably. Use DP cocoa when you want a fudgy flavor, regular otherwise. One major caveat is the color. The DP cocoa will turn your icing and fondant almost black, while regular cocoa makes a nice medium brown.Good luck.