Posts by KatrinaBroughton

I've also wondered about selling these types of cakes. For those who have sold these, it sounds like you have to do them in larger quantities (either year round or seasonally) vs. one-offs to make it profitable? Did you price them similar or higher than the grocery stores? Our grocery stores sell a variety (house brand, LaRocca, Dufflet) and even the better quality cakes are ~$30. With what I want to pay myself for my time there's no way I could compete with that price.
I echo your sentiments as well. It was so well put I have nothing to add ... except ditto!
I stumbled on http://www.designer-cakes.com - An online video class service from Paul Brodford in the UK and I'm curious if anyone has any experience/reviews of this website? I'm going to sign up for the free membership (why not!) and I'll check out a few of the free classes.   I buy a lot of Craftsy classes, but lately I'm not impressed with some of the classes - I'm looking for more pro level than beginner.
I have a tasting and consultation for my co-worker and his wife on Saturday who are looking for 175 cupcakes for their July wedding. Their colours are navy blue and yellow. I could use some held picking out 2 flavours of cupcakes.   They suggested blueberry and lemon to match the colours. Since the food will be more upscale, I'd like to combine 2-3 complementary flavours into each cupcake (i.e. not just blueberry cupcakes with blueberry buttercream). Also I know...
Thanks everyone
Hello fellow cakers, My husband and I are in Chicago for the weekend so I'm looking for any recommendations for any 'must see' cake supply stores or any really good bakeries I should check out - you know for research We're staying downtown and plan to go out to oak park tomorrow to see the frank Lloyd wright neighbourhood.
Good call - you just saved me a bunch of money
That is a good tip, I do essentially the same thing into a large Rubbermaid flour container (I almost wish I had one of those paint can shakers!). I also stopped grinding my almond/sugar mixture like you're 'supposed' to. I just sift into the bowl and grind whatever doesn't sift through - well if I'm being honest I dump it back into my large container to grind later!   I'm wondering if a kitchenaid grain mill would work well for grinding and sifting? I think its the only...
This is intriguing. I do a lot of macarons and sifting the almond meal/icing sugar is the longest/crappiest part. Do you know what causes the sifting action? Is it a vibration or is there something pushing the flour through the sieve? It makes me wonder if one could attach a motor to a regular sifter ...
 I understand you are just venting but unfortunately the free market is exactly that. The only forces that can stop those decorators are 1) the risks of doing something illegal and 2) the demand. Re 1) From what I've seen in my market, the risk of operating illegally are not that high, since I think its unlikely you'll get shut down - at least I've never heard of anyone getting shut down anyway. As someone else said, there's no reason why you couldn't report them. So that...