Posts by basketpam

I need to make a sheet cake for my neice's housewarming party. I dread one factor any time I have a larger cake like this and need to do layers, turning out the second layer onto the bottom layer.  I have yet to figure out how to do this without some sort of disaster happening to me.  I almost always am working on my own so I don't have an extra pair of hands.  HOW do you get the second layer of a sheet cake out of the pan and onto the bottom layer and filling without it...
You know, I am almost ALWAYS on the side of the baker and cake decorator because people today ARE so incredibly stupid, but this time, I feel sorry for the customer.  There is no other way to put it, but you were downright RUDE.  Also, do you realize you are using the word "custom" completely different than it's definition.  Did you realize the meaning of "custom" is:     :an action or way of behaving that is usual and traditional among the people in a particular group...
So what's the problem?  You mean you DON'T operate like Little Ceasars and have a freshly made newly decorated cake on hand at all times for customers so they can stop buy and purchase one whenever they want?  Next time any person does something like this give them the local Little Ceasars telephone number and tell them they ALWAYS have things hot and ready to go and you're sure they can take care of them.  
The first time I read this my initial thought was wondering if she wasn't having cravings.  Some women do get some VERY weird cravings during this unusual time in their life and she might be afraid to tell you about it.  It's just a thought, I could be completely off the mark on this one. OR.... Do you think she's trying to make the cupcakes for her own shower?  One way to find out is to make a small batch of cupcakes, with the chocolate frosting of course, say....oh about...
I can't find the original posting from the lady who said she sent in the gingerbread cupcakes to work and hardly anyone said a thank you.  I WONDER??????   Is there the possibility someone might have "taken possession" of the great bulk of them and taken them home or could one or two people made PIGS of themselves and ate most of them?  If this behavior for your co-workers is out of character I would come right out and ask people if they received one or.....next time...
Boy you have that right about people wanting the most BIZARRE things going by what cake shops are creating on television.  Lately I've been watching the show every day "Amazing Wedding Cakes" and even though the great bulk of the projects are WAY over my head I have been surprised of the little things the professionals do for some things that have been or will be a help to me in the future.  Even though it's been 4 Christmas holidays since I began my Wilton classes (that's...
The bottom line that I'm seeing in almost every single posting is that bakers and cake decorators, especially the less established ones, are trying to be paid a monetary value for ALL of their time, talent, skills, supplies, and expenses.  Plus, in trying NOT to lose money on your ingredients and costs and to NOT overcharge the customers you are over analyzing things TO DEATH.  Cake Decorators have the very same problem that EVERY crafter has had from the beginning of...
I would suspect this tradition of paying or charging for cakes by weight began long ago, even most likely in the last century or two when cakes were VERY different and it actually DID cost more to produce a cake based on the number of ingredients, probably items added to the cake such as dates, nuts, etc., and the more that was added the more the cake did actually weigh.  However, as cakes have changed and progressed this tradition of pricing has not kept up with the...
I'm curious.....I realize that a cake coated with cake crumbs doesn't require the same amount of work a highly decorated buttercream or even fondant cake requires but cake crumbs don't really weigh all that much.  Why charge differently for this cake?  You still have the cost of the ingredients, the time put into it, the cost of utilities, etc.  Why not sell per serving like many other cakes? It still takes work and effort to produce the cake.   It still works the same,...
Since this woman is someone who thinks SHE always deserves special treatment and doesn't need the same rules as others, AND she apparently has some sort of hearing disorder or hearing problem and won't listen to what you say to her, I would sacriface the $5 or $6 dollars and send this woman a VERY polite but very firm letter stating that you regret to inform her that you will NOT be doing any orders for ANY person due to the medical emergency in your home and you had this...