Posts by MamaDear

I just put a serving size container of apple sauce for every two cake mixes I am baking. Whether white, chocolate or vanilla they all come out moist and it doesn't affect the flavor at all. I think its 4 oz per individual cup size.
I just add 1/8 tsp of popcorn salt to my buttercream. Popcorn salt is finer than regular salt and it dissolves better. It keeps the icing from having that sickly sweet flavor and doesnt affect the performance (crusting, temperature, etc.)
If you aren't set on round confetti, then just roll out a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste mixture extremely thin. let it dry a little to firm up and then cut small strips, then cross cut them on the bias to make "diamond" shapes or cut perpendicular to make "squares". you could also make some curliques by wrapping strips of these same colors around straws and letting dry.The fondant/gumpaste could also be dusted with pearl dust to make it shiny on one side and plain on the other...
Unfortunately HATER TOTS are everywhere. People like these are the reasons that a good neighborhood is hard to find. Do they complain in the winter that you don't bake enough to heat their home and they have to use extra heating? Sorry you have to put up with that kind of stuff but it is good that you have all your ducks in a row beforehand!Keep on caking and let them keep on hating...
Cuppies frosted with the grass tip and topped with gumpaste dragon flies would be colorful, or different fishing flies on top of swirly blue frosted cuppies would be nice as well.Cuppies frosted with the grass tip and cat-tails with fondant/chocolate rocks big enough for the Birthday person's name (one letter each cuppie) would be cute.smoothly frosted blue cuppies with lily pads big enough for the Birthday person's name (one letter each cuppie) or age with a couple of...
I am by no means traditional or am I professional but I have found the best way for me to go is by buying a glass cutting board for retangular or very large round cakes OR using a round glass platter (the "plate" in a microwave, bought at a tag or garage sale works well because the glass is thicker) for my buttercream cakes.My Alabama cake is done on a glass cutting board ($12-15 at Wal-Mart), its not really visible due to the chocolate strawberries and decorations but...
And to handle that when you set up your business, add a signature block to the bottom of the contract and have them sign off when dropped off or picked up that the cake was acceptable. Also have a written policy up front as to how much of a discount will be applied to FUTURE orders in the event that they didn't like the cake they previously accepted and signed for.Like my grandma always said, there is more than one way to skin a possum... you can do it while he's alive...
This is EXACTLY why you should press on and get yourself set up as a cottage baker.But first, take a few minutes and evaluate the situation, those b-holes took advantage of you and you should set up some strict rules to make sure it never happens again. I had a guy tell me one time (not in the bakery biz, but at work) that "We teach others how to treat Us"... and I have to say, I hated him for it because it was like saying I told you so. But after my blood pressure went...
Not as time consuming and rolling and rerolling to make everything the same size... Just wrap the candies with one swipe and roll in your hands, place them on the cake with the "ugly" spot toward the bottom.Another benefit, especially with the big balls is that it doesn't take nearly as much fondant and doesn't add as much weight. I use gumballs/malted milk balls in my figures as well to make sure the heads stay round and are sized proportionately.
For a large ball border I take round candies like malted milk balls or sixlets and roll out my fondant and cut with a circle cutter and wrap the circle around the candies and smooth. This also helps the balls keep their shape because the fondant doesn't flatten as bad. HTH