Posts by ApplegumPam

The blade guards should ALWAYS be in place unless you are actually slicing........ anything else is just plain STUPID!!
Deal ON..... send me your recipes!   I LOVE fruitcake
Maybe splitting hairs to some.... but IMO the cooking method does affect the texture  and does make the fruitcake more pudding like.   Some people may confuse MOIST with PUDDING-LIKE...... guess if you are happy with the results - then all is good Traditionalists would cook a pudding in calico in simmering water - which gives that lovely pudding 'skin'.   Traditionalists would also probably NEVER use a pressure cooker to cook their fruitcake...... deosn't mean it...
Merry Christmas to you too Apti - Dubbo is only halfway to the Boonies!! hahaha I am at the base of the Blue Mountains before you climb over to Lithgow and head on over to Dubbo. Bondi in the early 80's - we probably drank at the same watering hole !!  My sister was with Johnson & Johnson bit later than that and with Pfizer now.   It really IS a small world  - and STILL hot here today too!
Believe me - THIS is not chaos - this is one of the BETTER 'How to Price' threads .... and purely because of the way you reacted -  don't change all that by now saying....  oh I think you are all mean and I didn't expect that. This is a handful of people giving their opinions -  there are no right or wrong things to say.You asked a question...... you received some info that was not what you expected - surely THAT has to be a good thing - your eyes were opened to a...
All cutters are not created equal   -  you need to find a supplier that understands that and will put in that little bit extra to ensure a top product.
I charge what I need to charge to make it worth my while..... it is FAIR to me - ie   as the worker..... whether or not it is FAIR to the client is I guess debatable.I know MANY people would think it was over-charging...... but those same people are often prepared to accept what i won't.I am not an advocate of 'market-value'  - I don't think it is applicable to MY business and it doesn't apply to many other custom cakers  that may only be making a few cakes a week. The one...
In my experience - the more you act like a business - the more people will treat you like itDon't  get into too much dialogue with people -  don't let them tell you how much the cake should be -  once you have a firm pricing schedule in place - you need to stick with it - don't feel pressured to add more - or lower the price.This is what I was trying to say - spend a lot of time calculating what the TRUE price should be - do it to the point where you are confident that it...
I disagree -It might be a lot of money  for some people - that means they DON"T get a custom designed cake - pure and simpleAs was stated earlier.... they are NOT meant to be for everybodyCharging what you think is 'fair' -  ONLY if you have somebody that is prepared to subsidise your busienss (ie give money away on a regular basis)And this setting idea of setting what YOU think is a fair price .... is what has damaged the entire cake decorating industry - TOO many people...
THIS ^^^^^^  Think about the cake you are making and then jot down EVERYTHING that needs to be done for that cake and price it as if you had to pay somebody else to do it for you. You need to get ingredients for the cake?   How much would you need to pay somebody else to go and do that for you? (NOT just the ingredient cost)Your kitchen looks like a bomb has hit it?   How much would it cost to 'hire' somebody to come and clean up and put everything back in its place?I can...