Posts by rpaige

Would this thread be open to hobby bakers who enjoy BC but still want to improve their skills?  I really want to gain the courage to pipe on the side of cakes.   Wondering if any one had this problem:  yesterday, my BC was like grainy sand.  I scraped it off and added more liquid and re-iced.  Both times, it appeared just fine in the bowl but once on the cake, it was terrible.  It had fine cracked lines and resembled stained glass.  I finally came to the conclusion that it...
AnnieCahill, that is exactly what I thought as well - about 2:00 a.m. and a sleepless night!  I have used Indydebbi's BC recipe for several years and was stunned at the results on the cake.  I scrapped everything off, added liquid but it was still dry when reapplied on the cake.  I had some heavy fondant decorations that did need a crust but this was crazy.  It was like sand!  I had grains of powder sugar all over everything when I tried to smooth.  I was in a panic when I...
I already had it basically smoothed and was using my Viva paper towel to further smooth and realized that the surface was almost powdery and then the tiers had cracked lines on the sides.  It almost looks like cracked tiles or stained glass.  I tried lying a damp paper towel on the tiers and that helped a bit but it really looks like stained glass now.  I just tried using the hot spatula with no success - appreciate your suggestion and quick response.  I have a mess now! ...
I am working on a cake now and it is due tomorrow. My BC appeared just fine in mixing bowl and it is the same recipe I use every time (Indydebbi BC recipe).  Now that I have all my tiers frosted, it is dry and cracking.  Could I spritz it lightly with water?  Any suggestions?  Please help!  Thanks.
Thank you for responding. I have made several Marine Corps cakes and even one similar to the YouTube video you provided. I wanted to do the white and black hat to place on top of the cake. I've searched youtube and the forums here with no success. Had hoped others could offer suggestions on the best way to carve, etc. I will just have to eat all my failures! Thanks again
I've tried contacting a few and have had no response. Will just figure it out. Thanks for responding.
I have not found a thread on this subject and apologize if it annoys by being repetitive.  I want to make a Marine Corps cover or hat to top a large sheet cake for the MCJROTC ball.  I would like to hear your thoughts on how to best create/cover the hat.  Use RKT or carved cake?  How would I get the brim or bill of the hat shiny but not the rest of the hat?  Brief step by step would be very helpful and I appreciate any additional pointers.  I see many beautiful covers on...
Looking for creative or unique ideas for separating small tiered cakes.  I am a novice so not very knowledgeable about stacked cakes just yet.  I have seen wine glasses and vases, etc. but locating the pictures have been challenging (I am a visual person).  If you have done something interesting and would be willing to share pics, that would be great.  How did you secure the cake to the item or supported the item?  Any suggestions on what you would or would not do again? ...
Thanks so much for responding.   No one answered so I thought I was the only nut that could not get it right.  I know the machine has been around awhile and thought maybe everyone had either mastered it or dumped it.  I did finally get a straight gum paste swirl to turn out this morning but that is not much progress for 5 hours of working at it.  I had not tried the straight gum paste, freezer and then vegetable oil on top.  I can only hope that my new blades arrive and...
Recently acquired a Cricut Cake machine because lady did not have time to use it.  She practiced a few times and became discouraged.  I was very happy to receive it; however, it is a struggle for me too.  I have watched/read the tutorials, Youtube videoes, searched CC forums and practiced for weeks.  I have frozen fondant, air dried fondant over night, placed in baggies over night, dusted with corn starch, used gum paste fondant combo, changed pressure and speed, cleaned...