Posts by jennifercullen

Just wondered if anyone knows what they are called or where I can buy them I've seen them on cakes a lot: http://www.vallumhousecakes.co.uk/images/galleries/horrid-henry-cake.JPGTIA x
Wow, I had meant to reply to this after the first 2 comments, then I hadn't checked back since. Sorry to all you helpful people I'm taking all your comments on board, one of my new customers who I'm now friends with on facebook gave me a bit of a pep talk too. I think I'm just going to price my cakes higher and see what happens. I remember seeing someone on here say I'd rather make 1 £500 cake, than 5 £100 cakes, and thats what I seem to be reminding myself of...
I'm planning on trying my hand at some cupcakes bouquets for mothers day on sunday, I want to either do the rose swirls or the ones where you pipe the petals individually, my problem is with buttercream. When I make mine, which is 250g butter, 250g shortening, and almost 1kg of icing sugar (I think just over 8oz each of butter/short. and then 2lb of icing sugar) its quite stiff, or then it just goes floppy. I'd like a recipe thats easy to pipe with, but tastes nice and...
I did a business course recently, I decided I was making lots of cakes so I might as well be making money from them, anyway... upon doing all the cash forecasts etc I've discovered that to make a wage of £80 per week, I need to be making 6 8 inch cakes at £40 every single week. which would take me a lot of hours, and therefore put me on an hourly wage of about £3. The problem is, I cant go much higher than £40, because thats what everybody else charges. Except one who is...
I came across this post from seeing your other thread... I started off illegally, I'm in the UK so it might be a bit different. I started making cakes for f&f in march last year, and it was a good few months of making them before I ended up doing them all the time (I have 2 young kids, so could only work on them in the evenings and I was working on them almost every night) and thats when I though ok, I'm going to have to start charging a bit extra, so I started adding on...
I actually didnt even think about that, I do have some food colouring pens but I dont think they are that good. Sharpies are a great idea! I actually found out today that the girl I was making it for next week doesnt even want the cake anymore but I will remember tips for future reference. I just wish I didn't have to buy online so I could look at the things I was buying!
I haven't seen any, so I dont know if they exist. The smallest letter cutters I have are probably the script click sticks, but I just wondered if you could get any little tiny ones to write more on a cake. Someone has asked me for a cake with some writing in a speech bubble, but to use any of my cutters the bubble is going to have to be pretty big! I've seen somewhere on some cupcakes little letters pressed into the fondant on top of a cupcake, but dont know where to buy...
I want to make a cake like this: http://www.myjuicecup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/castlecake_cover.jpg but I only want one tier, so I need to find a way to stick the turrets to the board without them falling over! I was thinking using wood and superglue but then worried about the superglue seeping underneath and having the cake on it. Any ideas? The ones in the picture are made from RKT.TIA!! jennifer
I have seen so many AMAZING gumpaste shoes lately, they are just absolutely beautiful. I've made shoes twice, the first time I used a template off here but I didn't do brilliantly well, then the second time for a wizard of oz cake they were only tiny, therefore easier, but still looked awful until I covered up the rubbish parts with glitter. I made my own template for the ruby slipper ones and it took me AGES, and even then it still wasnt right! I'd really like to know, if...
Thank you so much for all of your replies they have all made me feel a lot better.Sorry its taken so long for a reply I've had a busy busy day! Everything is so exciting thinking about starting a new business. Anyway, since I posted I have had someone email me and tell me they would like the £60 cake. I've decided facebook, whilst I do intend to use it, because I do know a few people on there who are definitely in my target market, is not going to be my main source of...