Posts by jennifercullen

Hi :) I've been in business for a few months now, but have been buying things locally (boxes, boards, fondant etc) and from supermarkets for ingredients. I know some things are cheaper from the supermarket than from the local wholesale place but I wondered where people bought wholesale items like boxes/boards, fondant, chocolate, etc?? I think I need desperately to widen my profit margin!! Thanks :) Jenny
Its called the dinky doodle airbrush, I can't find any reviews on it and I've never used an airbrush before so I don't know what I'm looking for! This is the one: http://www.thecakedecoratingcompany.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=527_528 any opinion would be appreciated thanks!
ChefAngie, I did call round them all. People tend to work out the cost of the ingredients, then double it no matter how long it takes them. I'm already slightly more expensive than some others in the area. Then again I over estimate the ingredients so I'm probably making a bit more than I expect, but still. As i only do it in the evenings, everything seems to take a lot longer. In september my youngest son starts nursery 5 days a week from 9am until 1pm so I think I will...
Jason_kraft; i do them as kind of a labour of love at the moment I took it into business just to earn a bit of extra money in the evenings when my kids are in bed, at first I sort of resented the price I had to charge because of what the area dictated, though I've since discovered other areas can be even lower! I also think I go quite slow if I've not got a lot on so as I get quicker, which I'm noticing I've improved rather a lot as the time has gone on I expect I would...
Hi, I live in the UK and have been decorating cakes for about 16 months. I decided to go into business early this year and eventually went official in May, so I'm a pretty new starter still! I'm just wondering what I can do to expand on just making cakes. I cant afford to open a shop, and also, I dont work on minimum wage even right now so I'd never earn enough to run a shop!I've been thinking about doing cupcake decorating parties for kids, and even weekly cake decorating...
some nice ideas there! Thank you very much everyone x
I'm making a cake for my grandmothers birthday party this weekend at my aunt's (who is throwing said party) request. I have some white chocolate buttercream I made yesterday so I thought I might as well use that up on this cake (as it will be free) otherwise I'll end up throwing it out. I am just wondering what flavour cake other than white chocolate would go with the white choc buttercream? I know you could pretty much pair anything, but I'd like to try something that...
Thanks for the tips think I'll give it a miss then. The iron is a great idea! I don't have an airbrush yet :/ they really intimidate me for some reason. Think I'll Dave my money and invest in one of those instead!
Hi, I just wondered if this would be the right kind of thing to steam fondant to make it shiny? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HAND-HELD-QUEST-POWER-STEAM-CLEANER-STEAMER-1050-WATT-CAR-HOME-CARPET-1050W-/130712186011?pt=UK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA&hash=item1e6f0dac9bOr do I need a specific type or head to go on it? I've wanted to use steam for ages but never gotten around to looking for anything!Thanks in advance for any help!
no, sorry I've not been very clear I know, I mean how to structure a support for the top cake so it is placed at an angle and looks like the baby is pulling the cake over