Posts by katefarquharson

So I am doing my first wedding cake! It's going to be 4 tiers but it's not going to be 4x4" tiers, I will be mixing the heights slightly for a more interesting structure. I think I will make all my cakes to be around 5" to be a little more generous with serving sizes. The cake is for 120 people. I've come up with different combinations of tier sizes and I'm going to meet with the couple tomorrow for a tasting and doing the design, where I'll show them each...
I'm making some cupcakes for a friends baby shower in 2 weeks, probably a batch of 3 dozen or so.  I'm wanting to do pregnant bellies and boobs!  I've found loads of different pictures and have a bunch of ideas but a lot of them would need to use fondant and I'm really not keen on fondant covered cupcakes. Little cupcake toppers are fine because they're easy to take off and you still get the frosting. I LOVE these:  http://pinterest.com/pin/23995810487406723/ But...
I'm doing my first wedding cake! The groom is the brother of a friend, and the bride contacted me asking for a 3 or 4 tiered moist chocolate cake to serve around 120.   This is the image she's sent for me to get an idea of what she wants: (question: bottom and middle tiers are extended right? how could I calculate serving sizes in case of the design being like this?)   It's absolutely stunning and I know I'll be able to pull it off even though it'll be a...
I am looking for a nice basic, but tasty vanilla sheetcake recipe.  I need to feed 50 people, (with fairly generous servings!) and I would definitely do a double layer. I can't use a doctored/extended box mix because I haven't budgeted for that, so the box mixes will be quite expensive (I'm in south africa).   I am tired of sifting through recipes wondering if they will work etc. So if anyone has a trusty recipe ? or can point me in the right direction?    I...
I am new to sheet cakes. shock horror!    Here is my situation: I am making a board game cake to serve 50 people. the decorating is fine, JUST the baking for me is an issue.  I have quite a small oven. The tray that slots in is 34x41cm (13.4"x16.1")   I am thinking of using this martha stewart vanilla cake : http://www.marthastewart.com/897987/classic-yellow-cake-batter   I guess I would triple it?  I am actually quite lost, the baking is always the...
Hi maggie,What is your method? do you whip the meriwhite with the water first? then add the sugar? or do you mix the meriwhite with the sugar until combined and then beat in the water? do you have a rough idea of how much icing sugar you usually use?x
I'm making a dummy cake to go on my market stall this weekend, I've hand painted the middle tier with big peonies but now i'm stuck! I need a border for each tier because the edges aren't neat at all. I have some lace edging stuff that i put round them but it doesn't look quite right. I seem to have some sort of design block! Any ideas...?I'm going to make a big peony to sit right on top of the cake.
So I've made royal icing a fair few times before, but more last year and my memory is bad.I am now staying in south africa, so at the baking supply store i got some meringue powder called actiwhite. I used the following recipe:2 lbs {1bag} confectioner’s sugar1/3 c. plus one tablespoon meringue powderabout 3/4c. waterI did this and instead of taking 6 or 7 minutes to form stiff peaks it took 30 seconds! It was super light and creamy just like meringue and not royal...
Thank you so much!!I am rethinking completely. I am going to get some different racks for my oven (because i only have weird roasting-pan-like things and one normal wire rack). which is obviously part of the problem!I'm sticking with 3 flavours, baking more of the ones that don't require decorating, which will leave me more time for the other decorations.I'm abandoning the poured fondant and all the dipping stuff, I just haven't practised it enough, which as you say is...
Next Sunday I'm doing my first market stall. I'm planning to make 150 cupcakes and about 50 cookies.Today I've baked 30 cookies, which turned out okay...I made a big batch of royal icing. it flopped. I'm using actiwhite, (im in south africa) and i followed a recipe from sweetsugarbelle's blog. Instead of taking 7 or 8 minutes to get to stiff peaks, it took 30 seconds. so i had wasted a kg of icing sugar. I found somewhere online that with actiwhite, 1 tsp of actiwhite +...