Posts by smfrickl

I have Wilton's silver and gold pearl dust and also have CK's silver and gold but I still can't get the right "paint" consistency or color when mixing with a little vodka in order to get it to look like real silver or gold like I see on other cakes. I bought the CK's because I thought it was different and would make a difference. Any suggestions as to how to get it to go on to look like real shiny silver and gold instead of a pearlized tint? Should it be thick with very...
Does anyone use buttercream with just butter and no shortening? I personally like the taste of butter only in the icing. The thought of shortening makes me think of grocery store icing. Does it taste anything like that? Is shortening in the recipe the only way to get smooth buttercream?
I need to make a graduation cap and will be using some of the suggestions from all of you but I have one question...how do I get the gumpaste black? I have only used fondant and never gumpaste. Thanks!
I've been wanting to make mini cakes but I am unsure of what to use for pans. I also want to know what the average size is for mini cakes? I have some Wilton 4" cake pans but then I would need to find something smaller to use for the top tier. Any ideas what I could use? I also thought thought that if I was doing several cakes at once that maybe I could make a sheet cake and use different size round cookie cutters? Please give any suggestions. I'd greatly appreaciate...
First I would just like to say that all of you that have shared your cake pictures are so talented and I hope that someday I can get to your level! I have never had any training and everything I know I have learned just from jumping in and doing it. I mostly make cakes for family members but recently after posting my pictures on Facebook I had two people approach me about making cakes for them so I agreed. I had no idea what to charge so I added up what it would cost in...