Posts by me_me1

She posted pics on Facebook of all the kids enjoying the cake so I can only assume she was happy with it.  Her partner who picked them up said they were perfect.  I have no idea.  Anyway, on the list she goes!  
I have a lady who has just made it onto my 'no cake for you' list.  I work with her and she sent email after email with requests for cakes for her twin girls and I was very accommodating and patient (just like I was with her last year).     She asked if we could change this, change that - all no problem at all.  She took ages to respond to any of my questions to get clarification on certain points but the cakes were really really simple as she wanted something a bit...
A different way to get the height required with fruitcakes is to just use two of the thick cake drums at the bottom of the cake instead of the thinner cake board.  I've done that on previous occasions and the brides were perfectly happy with it.  My fruitcake bakes up to about 3.5 inches on its own.
I sometimes freeze them and then make cake pops or cake truffles out of them at a later date   :)
No worries!  Looking forward to seeing the end result!   
Howdy - I'd probably pipe in RI first in a light yellowy colour and then once it had dried I'd hand paint with edible gold paint.
FDBaker, would you mind posting a pic of how the cookie cutter ones turn out?  I'd love to see.   I'd be investing in the tiered pans - it would definitely save me time in the long run and I think it would be much less hassle than trying to fiddle around with cutting out separate tiers and making them all look the same.  I'd probably just cover with a pourable ganache.  Messy, but fun!
I would say PME pearl lustre spray for the bow and other white parts but if you spray the whole cake (monkey, coloured dots and all) with pearl it will dull the colours.  For the rest of the cake I'd use the PME glaze spray - just confectioner's glaze but in the handy spray can.      
I've done this and it's actually really yummy.  Chocolate cake, chocolate ganache (thick, pipeable ganache) filling, fondant covering (50/50 split of Belgian chocolate modelling paste and normal fondant so it has a lovely chocolate taste) and then a thinner chocolate ganache poured over the top.  I don't think I'd do it with anything other than chocolate though!  Learnt the technique from a UK master chocolatier so I'm assuming he knows what he's doing!    :)
What about refrigeration issues when delivering?  Some local councils require cake/food deliveries to be done in a refrigerated van or equivalent.  Does anyone deliver in a special van or have a portable refrigeration unit in their car?