Posts by Norasmom

sounds like the rosettes were too heavy for the cake recipe.  Was the cake firm or moist?   This has happened to me too.  Definitely refrigerate, if possible… I had a tall cake so during the baking process I emptied my fridge for the cake…my groceries went to my mom's fridge.  It's not easy….
Not sure about what to put as the design on the side, but that is adorable!  I love it!  A monogram sounds nice.
Italianbaker-  I am going into sales for a  meeting-procurement company.  It's business-to-business, I will be streamlining the hotel room rental process for corporations, companies and organizations of all sizes.   Took me awhile (and some connecting to people) to find the right company to work for doing a job I knew I would be successful at, but I found it!  The job I had previous to having my daughter was amazing, so I needed a company that could replicate the scenario....
I got married at an awesome, schmantzy hotel but I did not use their baker, and they had one.  The cakes looked and tasted blahhhh, and to boot, were a bit more pricey than the cake I ordered to have delivered.   Maybe if they object you can ask to consult with a bride or two (or more), get the bride to speak on your behalf, and then you will have even more of a reference point.   It takes persistence, you might not get an agreement off the bat, it might take you another...
Just make sure the executive chef and the CEO are the decision makers in the process. The CEO often signs off on things that others have decided upon as a good idea  The CEO is the final stamp but sometimes depends upon other sources for how the decision is made.   So make sure you spend your time efficiently and find out who will make this decision for the hotels.  That's the person you want to reach!  Could very well be the chef and the CEO, I don't know who you are...
Since this is a friend, there is no harm in charging for ingredients…although technically this is illegal unless you have a licensed kitchen.  If a I were to purchase or sell that cake with a friend, my ingredients would be about $35.00.  I wouldn't charge for my time because I would consider it educational time.  Learning is an investment.   Keep practicing and read this forum regularly, you will learn so much!  Don't feel badly or get discouraged when people tell you...
I'm not sure you have to pay for a tax ID. I filed under my social security number.   You also don't have to become an LLC.  I did neither, although I am working out of my kitchen.  I didn't file for an LLC because it is a bit costly, but not as much as you were charged.  My startup costs were $50 for kitchen inspection, $250 for Food Safety course, and $300  (annually) for a $1,000,000 insurance policy.  Equipment, of course, expensive as well but had been accumulated...
of course.  That's why her next cake should be perfect and she can charge her worth.
For 100 bucks what the bleep did she want ???   When you don't charge enough you are saying you are not up to snuff.  The color is completely wrong but you made a beautiful cake otherwise.    Next time charge  WAYYYYY more and make a perfect cake.  Like, as in, $250 more or so, which is what that cake should cost (proper color, of course).  The picture is dark blue, although you cannot get 100% matches on color it's possible to get close enough.  You have learned a lot...
Charge $20.00/hr for your time.  That's what I charge in Boston.