Posts by dreamsville

Hi All!Ok so bare with me here while I share my story:My husband and I met a woman while doing a charity event (Selling our cupcakes) who asked us if we did wedding cakes. She wanted to buy a wedding cake for a girl who was getting married (in 3 weeks!) to a young man in the military. His deployment was being moved up so they were moving up the wedding and she wanted to know if we would take on the project. Of course we said yes because we happened to have the date open....
I have a wedding cake on my schedule for summer which will also be an outdoor wedding. They're asking for cream cheese icing (inside the cake), Should that be a concern for an outdoor wedding in summer weather? Or will the icing be ok because it's on the inside of the cake covered in fondant? Should I be advising her to go with buttercream instead?
This is what I've been told: The wedding is an outdoor wedding in the same spot where the reception will be....outside on the family farm in a tent. The cake will be situated in the MIDDLE of the tent with tables etc all around. Soooo when we cut the cake....we'll be standing there in the middle of everyone because to my knowledge, after they cut the cake, it's not able to be moved anywhere for us to cut it. I'm sooo not happy that we'll be tearing the cake apart in front...
you mean like fondant melting to a liquid in the heat and the cake sliding all over the place? Or having to cut the cake out in the open in front of everyone because they probably won't have a place for us to take the cake and how much pressure that is when everyone is watching you? AHHHHHHHH driving myself crazy!
Hi all!!!This is it! After a year in the business this weekend is my first REAL wedding cake! 215 servings which usually wouldn't be scary....except that it's supposed to be roughly 90 degrees outside and this wedding is an outdoor wedding and reception! Which means the cake will be outside as well.....I'm planning on using fondant and now I'm scared becasue it's going to be so hot!ANY and ALL advice would be much appreciated here to calm my nerves! I have no doubt I can...
Hi all! Silly question perhaps but when a client orders a wedding cake for so many servings, do you charge them for those servings PLUS the top tier cake that they keep for a year or do you give them the small top tier for free? I can't imagine you give it to them for free....so just wondering how you charge for that.Thanks!!
I SOOO knew you all would make me feel better! I just needed to vent to people who GET IT! Geesh...I love making cakes but when stuff like this happens (and it's ALWAYS people we're "close" to) I just want to pull all my hair out! I'm frustrated and even worse....my feelings are hurt and she will never understand why because she will forever think that she's right and that I should've given her this cake at a lesser price. But her daughter's quick wedding is not my...
hmmm I think you're right! Now it's just doing it without letting her try to think she knows more about the cake business than I do. SHe makes cake balls (not the kind on a stick) and sells them for $4.00 a dozen. Ask me if I've EVER received free cake balls "just because"? In fact, we collaborated on a huge event last year and I used HER cakebites on MY cake and she STILL charged me $16 for 4 dozen. Incredible. I think what hurts the most is that I WANT our friendship to...
I'm a relatively newbie as well I also try to photograph cakes with a solid background. I've used white and am now using black which I LOVE! Also, when we can (like if we have extra batter) we'll make extra cupcakes...sometimes minis and give them away around the community. Or give to friends to take to work with a few business cards. Or sometimes do a "giveaway" on your facebook page. We do that especially for the person who is our "300th" like or something like that ...
Ok so on April 9th (yes, LAST WEEK!) I get an email from the daughter of a friend of mine who says she's getting married this Saturday (yes, THIS SATURDAY) the 21st! Wanted to know if I would make her a wedding cake. I said sure! She asked for a simple white fondant covered cake. Two tiers with some spring flowers on it. She didn't have any kind of plan in mind. Just gave me a few favorite flowers and a few colors to go on. So I picked Gerbera daisies....nice bright...